• Page:

TOPIC:

Elswick Battery 5 years 8 months ago #59448

• MOIRA DAVIS
  • MOIRA DAVIS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My Grandfather Alexander Martin was 14 when he went to the Boer War with the Elswick Battery... He worked at Vickers Armstrong in Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne..which is the factory that manufactured the Guns that were sent to South Africa. We have seen one of the Guns from the Boer War in the Drill Hall in Heaton Newcastle upon Tyne, that was about 15 years ago, we do not know if they still have it. I have checked the War Records on line for him as i dont have a DOB or Address or Military Number, only to find lots of Alexander Martins recorded as going to the Boer War, which i find rather strange....can anyone help please, Moira Davis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Elswick Battery 5 years 8 months ago #59449

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1527
Moira Davis
I had a look on the medal rolls of the Elswick Battery, 1st Northumberland Volunteer Artillery and his number is 7133. He was awarded the QSA medal with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal and South Africa 1901. There are no marginal notes concerning your GF on either roll page, unfortunately. Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa" devotes about two pages to this Battery.
Perhaps you might find out more on one of the commercial sites.
Good luck with your endeavours
IL.

Elswick Battery 5 years 8 months ago #59450

• MOIRA DAVIS
  • MOIRA DAVIS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you so much for that information, i will try to investigate further and will message you if i find anything more
Best wishes Moira

Elswick Battery 5 years 8 months ago #59451

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1527
Moira
Glad the site was able to help a little bit. You might keep us updated with whatever you find. Your GF does sound a bit young at 14 to be going off to South Africa!
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.455 seconds