Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lookup help for William Henry Squires, Midland Mounted Rifles 5 years 9 months ago #59469

• Rebecca96
  • Rebecca96's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, im wondering if anyone can help me trying to find a service record for my Great Great Grandfather who was supposed to have served in with the Midland Mounted Rifles. I only know this as it is stated on his Short Service Attention for Hampshire Regiment General Service Infantry, 1914, his Reg No. 10006 Born: 1883 Warwickshire.

However i am having trouble finding a record for him on Ancestry unless they are not all listed on Ancestry.

Kind Regards, Rebecca

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lookup help for William Henry Squires, Midland Mounted Rifles 5 years 9 months ago #59470

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Rebecca

Interesting. The entry on his service papers is quite clear. I cannot find him on the medal rolls in Ancestry.

Not sure what to make of that entry on his service papers.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Lookup help for William Henry Squires, Midland Mounted Rifles 5 years 9 months ago #59479

• Rebecca96
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Im having alot of trouble tracing him and being able to go back any further on my tree so i was hoping i would find his Boer record which hopefully would have gave me some more information on him. The only squires i could find on Ancestry was N Squires.

Lookup help for William Henry Squires, Midland Mounted Rifles 5 years 9 months ago #59494

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Rebecca,

We had a similar query about the MMR a few weeks ago: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/11-research/2...rifles?start=6#57296

It turned out that the image used in the PDF version of the roil and by Ancestry was blurred which resulted in missing entries.

The MMR is one of the more alphabetically organised rolls so I suspect Squires is listed on page 40 of the roll. This is what the PDF shows:

Page 39 ends with the surname Siff and page 41 begins with Stallard.

To confirm, it would be necessary to visit the National Archives in London and request the original roll.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Lookup help for William Henry Squires, Midland Mounted Rifles 5 years 9 months ago #59510

• Rebecca96
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

djb wrote: Rebecca,

We had a similar query about the MMR a few weeks ago: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/11-research/2...rifles?start=6#57296

It turned out that the image used in the PDF version of the roil and by Ancestry was blurred which resulted in missing entries.

The MMR is one of the more alphabetically organised rolls so I suspect Squires is listed on page 40 of the roll. This is what the PDF shows:

Page 39 ends with the surname Siff and page 41 begins with Stallard.

To confirm, it would be necessary to visit the National Archives in London and request the original roll.

ahh i see thank you for letting me know. I think i might have to put in a request for someone who might be visiting the archives if they could have a look for me as i cant really make it to the Archives in London unfortunately.

Kind Regards

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds