Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

James Norris - 89th (Montgomeryshire) Company Imperial Yeomanry? 5 years 2 months ago #62069

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
This item appeared under the heading of Neston, a town on the west coast of the Wirral Peninsula, which was formerly a part of Cheshire, and is now in the administrative county of Merseyside.

A SOUTH AFRICAN HERO . - Corporal James Norris, son of Mr. Richard Norris, of Backwood Farm, has just received the South African medal with five bars, viz., Diamond Hill, Johannesburg, Driefontein, Paardeberg, and Relief of Kimberley. Norris, as will be seen, went through some severe fighting, chiefly under General French, and unfortunately he lost his right arm in thus rendering good service to his country. This occurred in one of those small affairs which are ignored by the historian, but which afford such opportunities for individual prowess. Norris, in company with some thirty others, was engaged in an attack on a farmhouse, when his party was surprised by an overwhelming body of Boers, who, from an advantageous position, poured down a tremendous fire upon them. Norris received a wound in the leg, and his arm was so badly shattered that it was afterwards amputated. He lay thus wounded for over twelve hours, a devoted comrade standing by him until reinforcements came up and he was removed. Norris, who is a very young man, has, of course, received a life pension, owing to his irreparable injury. Owing to his innate modesty, his stirring adventures have hitherto escaped the local papers.

The Chester Courant, Wednesday 7th January 1903

Backwood Farm may be what is now called Backwood Hall Farm. www.geograph.org.uk/photo/381143

"33,915 Lance-Corpl. James Norris, 20, Lawrence road, Liverpool." was given as being a member of the 89th (Montgomeryshire) Company Imperial Yeomanry, in the Towyn-on-Sea and Merioneth County Times, Thursday 11th April 1901. The same man?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

James Norris - 89th (Montgomeryshire) Company Imperial Yeomanry? 5 years 2 months ago #62071

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 135
No. The clasps are early 1899/1900. No yeomanry were present for Rel of Kimberley or Paardeberg.
Pete
Positive id 5547 James Norris enlisted Cheshire Regiment 15 November 1897

The family in 1901
search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBC/19...=GBC/1901/0022328846
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

James Norris - 89th (Montgomeryshire) Company Imperial Yeomanry? 5 years 2 months ago #62075

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Thanks! Found him now -

LETTER FROM A NESS MAN.

PREFERS AFRICA TO ENGLAND.
Lance-Corpl. J. Norris, No. 5547 2nd Cheshire detachment 1st Battalion of Mounted Infantry, South African Field Force. has written home to his sister (Haddon-lane, Ness) from De Aar Junction, acknowledging a present sent to him there, and stating that he is in good health and spirits. He adds, "I have been in no action as yet, though we have been very near to it several times, and we expect to be disturbed by the Boers any day, when they start fighting again, for it seems to be at a standstill since Christmas. Remember me to one and all at home, and tell father I would much rather be in this country than at home if it was in peace, but we have to rough it at the present time. There is no such thing as a nice soft bed to roll into at night, only one blanket and the hard ground to lie on; but it is very hot out here, that is one consolation, and we don't have much rain out here, but we get plenty of dust instead. One can scarcely see at times for it...…..P.S. - I got the stripe again since I came out here.

Cheshire Observer, Saturday 3rd February 1900

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds