Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

James Peden. Possibly Black Watch? Certainly Scottish Regiment. 3 years 11 months ago #69078

• Ian Peden
  • Ian Peden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi. My grandfather, James Peden, b1879 in Bathgate, West Lothian, was awarded the Queen's South Africa Medal (in possession of a cousin in the USA!)
Family rumour has it that he served in the Black Watch during this campaign but in my only photograph of him, (attached), he is wearing trousers and not a kilt?
If anyone can provide any ideas about how I can begin to get more information, I would be most grateful.
He does not feature in 'Find My Past' which is supposed to have the Black Watch records.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

James Peden. Possibly Black Watch? Certainly Scottish Regiment. 3 years 11 months ago #69081

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
Ian
Findmypast have service papers for a James Peden born Bathgate served with Royal Highlanders AKA Black Watch

search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2F...WO97%2F5671%2F994622

Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Peden

James Peden. Possibly Black Watch? Certainly Scottish Regiment. 3 years 11 months ago #69082

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Ian
My copy of the medal roll for 1st Bn., Royal Highlanders shows "6227 Pte. James Peden" as entitled to clasps Orange Free State, Transvaal and SA 1901/1902 on his QSA. 1st Bn., RHR arrived in SA from India about the end of 1901 according to Stirling's "Our Regiments".
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian Peden

James Peden. Possibly Black Watch? Certainly Scottish Regiment. 3 years 11 months ago #69093

• Ian Peden
  • Ian Peden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for your responses. I am guessing that he lied about his age as he was only 16, being born in 1879.
I am most grateful. His service record makes interesting reading.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds