Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Robert Collison, 3rd Norfolk Regt. - killed by lightning in Norfolk, 29.5.1901 3 years 10 months ago #69581

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2297
The brief article about his death was syndicated in several British newspapers, and I asked about him in the online King's Lynn Forum, Grimston being about 7 miles east of King's Lynn. The inscription on the family gravestone, in Grimston churchyard, reads "Robert Collison, killed May 29th 1901, aged 24 years." His father was James, died November 1900, aged 75, and mother Betsy died in 1908, and 63. I'm told that he doesn't appear on the medal rolls; his father pre-deceased him, so did his mother, in her late 50s, decide not to apply for his QSA?

DEATH FROM LIGHTNING.
A Lynn correspondent states that Robert Collison, a Norfolk Militiaman, recently invalided home from the front, was killed by lightning on Wednesday night while sitting at the open window of a public-house in Grimston, near Lynn. Two companions were also struck, but escaped with only slight injuries.

Portsmouth Evening News, Thursday 31st May 1901

The photo of his grave in the King's Lynn Forum was very kindly supplied by Steph and Ian Hall, of Grimston, and I thank them and the others who have contributed to the thread on the KLF for digging up so much information on Robert.
www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9614

His age on the gravestone is 24, but the burial record has it as 25.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Robert Collison, 3rd Norfolk Regt. - killed by lightning in Norfolk, 29.5.1901 3 years 10 months ago #69588

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Pte 2809 R Collison 3rd (militia) bn Norfolk Rgt attached 2nd bn.

Invalided October 1900, medal returned unclaimed, "latest address" Nr The Chapel Grimston Lynn". Medal later issued to sister in 1912, Mrs Blake Grimston, King's Lynn, Norfolk.

WO96 shows first name "Robert" and confirms the address "Near The Chapel.."
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds