• Page:

TOPIC:

Sidney Potterton, 3rd King's Royal Rifle Corps 3 years 7 months ago #71006

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
STRANGE DIVORCE SUIT.

BROTHER AND SISTER IMPLICATED.

….Sidney Potterton, formerly a 'bus conductor, Reservist of the 3rd King's Royal Rifles, and now a prison warder, sought a dissolution of his marriage, on the ground of the misconduct of his wife, Rosina, a coloured woman, who was formerly engaged with Fillis's "Savage South Africa" Show at Earl's Court, with a coloured man named Harry Smith. The defence was a denial, and it was set up that the co-respondent was the respondent's brother.
….From Mr. Slater's opening statement it appeared that when the petitioner was engaged on the London and General Omnibus Company's 'buses he made the acquaintance of the respondent, and in 1899 they were married at the registry office, Fulham. He was at the time a Reservist in the King's Royal Rifles, and five weeks after marriage he was called up to rejoin the colours, and sailed to South Africa. His wife told him that she had a mother, two sisters, and a brother out there. He visited them in Cape Town, and the man he saw there told him he was her only brother. On his return to this country he heard that his wife had toured the provinces with "Savage South Africa," and had lived with the coloured man, Harry Smith.
….Mrs. Potterton, in the course of her evidence, said that after she left the "Savage South Africa" Show in Oldham she gained a living on the stage in various towns in South Wales, and afterwards she obtained an engagement at Drury-lane Theatre. Since she left Drury-lane last Christmas she had done nothing. The co-respondent was her brother, and they were both in the "Savage South Africa" Show.
….Mrs. Lee said she was born in South Africa. She knew the respondent and co-respondent as brother and sister.
….Mr. Justice Barnes: Are you a married woman? - Yes, I am. My husband is at home now doing my work for me. (Laughter.) I am a respectable married woman. My husband was a private soldier in the Dublin Fusiliers, and I am a refugee from the Transvaal. (Laughter.)
….Mr. Justice Barnes said he hardly knew what to believe as to the relationship of the respondent and co-respondent. He concluded that the petitioner had not made out his case, and dismissed the petition.

Weekly Mail, Saturday 14th February 1903

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.593 seconds