• Page:

TOPIC:

Ceylon Mounted Infantry 11 years 10 months ago #4308

• Ed Rowlands
  • Ed Rowlands's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My interest in the Boer War springs from research into my family who were born and lived in Ceylon. My grand-father Arthur Percival Leopold Rowlands who was born on 11/9/1885, appears to have joined the above as Trooper No: 299. This infantry was sent to the Boer War from Ceylon and I note your records indicate that an "Arthur Rowlands" Trooper 299 in mentioned as "Served 19 May 1900 to 24 November 1900. Discharged - provided substitute source. Nominal Roll in WO127". I would appreciate any information on the A.P.Rowlands who was a famous motor vehicle entreprenuer in Ceylon.

Also his older brother Cecil Ernst Rowlands, born 25/4/1877, joined the CMI in the initial intake of 62, as Trooper No: 55. He died at the age of 25 on 29/8/1902. No one in the family has any idea as to how he died and I would appreciate any information that you can give me.

Old soldiers, even volunteers, never spoke of their exploits, so their families never knew anything about the time they served.

Regards,
Ed.Rowlands,
Yarrawonga,
Victoria,
Australia.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Ceylon Mounted Infantry 11 years 10 months ago #4310

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Ed
G'day and welcome to the Forum.
I am sure you must of researched the internet for your Grandfather and come across this website, but if you have not here is a link.
ceylondatabase.net/military.html
If you scroll down to Ceylon Mounted Infantry you will see him listed.
There are few more sites on the internet relating to your Grandfather that I am sure will have come across.
BTW I lived for a year in Mildura Vic.a very beautiful state.

Regards
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ed Rowlands

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds