Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Imperial Hospital Corp 11 years 9 months ago #4698

• bendeln
  • bendeln's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
I am conducting some research into my great-grandfather, Philip Bendel, who served as an orderly in the Imperial Hospital Corp in South Africa in 1901/02. Is is possible to find out where he served? Which part of the country or actual hospital did he work in? Can anyone give me any aedvice on this matter.

Many thanks,

Neil Bendel
The following user(s) said Thank You: coldstream

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Imperial Hospital Corp 11 years 9 months ago #4701

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4559
Neil,

Welcome to the forum and than you for your first post.

I'm not aware of a great deal of information on th IHC, its locations or work. Has anyone else seen any records on this unit?

The QSA roll in WO100/249 does not give too much away.

On page 51 of the roll the note against P Bendel says that he enlisted 23 April 1901. His two clasp medal was issued on 23 October (?) 1908 to 23 White Conduit Street, Islington.

On the supplementary roll on page 125a, his entry is crossed through but the clasps SA01 and SA02 are listed. Are these his clasps?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Imperial Hospital Corp 11 years 9 months ago #4702

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Dear Neil,

The original enrolment papers for your great grandfather in the Imperial Hospital Corps can be found in the National Archives (WO126 series) and the Nominal Roll for the Corps (WO127 series) which will give additional details.

Good luck.

Justin

Re: Imperial Hospital Corp 11 years 9 months ago #4704

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4559
Neil,

Justin is quite correct. The nominal roll is available on this site. It shows that Philip Bendel joined the IHC on 23 Apr 01 and served to the completion of the agreed period to 8 Feb 02. That length of service would not have entitled him to the SA02 clasp. Can you tell me the two clasps on the medal please? It would certainly appear from the rolls as SA01 and SA02.

Attestation papers for the IHC are held at the NA. A search would be needed to discover if his are present.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Imperial Hospital Corp 11 years 9 months ago #4705

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Neil,
I'm afraid I have nothing to add other than the Imperial Hospital Corps were raised at Durban on the 2nd May 1900, with an establishment of 60 leaders and 640 orderlies, you could enlist for 6 months or longer and it was disbanded at Pietermaritzburg on the 30th June 1902.
Regards Frank

Re: Imperial Hospital Corp 11 years 9 months ago #4707

• bendeln
  • bendeln's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you to everyone for your most helpful advice. Unfortunately, I do not have my great grandfather's medal in my possession. I believe it was passed on to his son (my great uncle) on his death but all trace of it has been lost since my great uncle's death 10 years ago.

I am not familiar with the terminology used in respect to medals. What does the term 'clasp' refer to and does the awarding of a clasp signify anything in particular? The address to which the medal was sent (3 White Conduit Street) is correct.

Thanks you for the tip in terms of the enrollment papers in National Archives. I have already received a large numbers of papers from the NA relating to my grandfather but this was not among them so I will go back tio them with a further request. What are attestation papers?

Neil

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.729 seconds