TOPIC:

William John Juleff 11 years 9 months ago #4723

• Jules
  • Jules's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

I've just come across this website whilst looking for information about my great-great grandfather, William John Juleff. Born in Cornwall he emigrated to South Africa around 1900 with wife and 2 children.
Wife returned approx 10 years later with 5 children,( my grandfather being born in South Africa).William John never returned to England as far as we know. This is the first reference I've found.
His daughter, my great aunt used to say she remembered the Orange River but that was all.
Would anyone have any further info please.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: William John Juleff 11 years 9 months ago #4727

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Dave

The South African National Archives website lists no files under the name Juleff for the period 1900 to 1980. One might have expected at least a Death Notice for William John had he died in SA during that period. There are other avenues you might explore (SA genealogy sites and shipping lists, for example).

Brett

Re: William John Juleff 11 years 9 months ago #4728

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum !
I can find a listing on the Queen's South Africa (QSA) medal roll for No.142 Corporal W.J.Juleff, 2nd Namaqualand Border Scouts. He got the QSA with Cape Colony and South Africa 1902 clasps. The roll notes he served from 14 January 1902 - 23 April 1902. The Orange River divides Namaqualand into the Great NL (in Namibia) to the north and Little NL (in South Africa) to the South so seems to be the right area for memories of the Orange River.

There is also a W.Juleff listed on the civilian subordinates roll of the Army Ordnance Department. He is listed as a tentmender. His dates of service are 27-02-1901 to 3-01-1902. The dates fit. Clasps for these men were cancelled as was the norm with civilians. The cancelled clasp was for the Cape Colony so the right area. The family name isn't common so it looks like there is a very good chance that they are the same man.

I couldn't help noticing that there is a WWI casualty listing for a man from Cornwall by the same name: SS/13951 Pte. William John Juleff, 18th Labour Coy., Army Service Corps, died at sea 13/08/1915 age 36 (old enough for Boer War service). Son of John and Susan Juleff; husband of Henrietta Juleff, of Penwithick, St. Austell, Cornwall. Remembered on the HELLES MEMORIAL.

Cheers,

Mark

Re: William John Juleff 11 years 9 months ago #4734

• Jules
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Mark

Thanks for the info. The William Juleff killed in action in the WW1 is definitely not the right William as his wife was called Eva and his parents were a John Juleff and Emily Juleff.

the first one though could be a possibility, the information I have is very sketchy.
4 children were born in South Africa

Edward John Juleff
Francis Henry Juleff(my grandfather)
Thomas George Juleff
William Charles Juleff

As i said before all children and mother returned to Cornwall, father stayed and had money sent back to Cornwall.

When 1 of his daughters married his occupation was listed as a railway plate layer and his money was sent over by the railway company but I have no name.

Would the childrens birth have been registered?

Would appreciate any ideas for tracing William John.

regards
Dave

Re: William John Juleff 11 years 9 months ago #4735

• Jules
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks for that Brett

Would children's births be registered as 4 children were born in South Africa, 1 of them being my grandfather.

Dave

Re: William John Juleff 11 years 9 months ago #4736

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Dave

You might try contacting the Genealogical Society of South Africa and getting advice from them. I think the unusual surname could be a big help in this instance.

Good luck with your search.

Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.431 seconds