Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

3073 Cpl. J. Speight, 18th Hussars (Queen Mary's Own) 11 years 8 months ago #5576

• duarcain
  • duarcain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello!

I'm hoping someone out there can provide me with any information on this officer. I believe him to be a half-brother of one of my great-granddad's.

My Uncle has his medals, two of which are the Queen's South Africa Medal and the King's South Africa Medal (both with various clasps). If memory serves me right there is also a Long Service medal, so obviously he must have been a career soldier, as I believe you had to be in the Army for 18 years to qualify for that medal.

The great-granddad in question was a man named Robert Tennant from Bradford, Yorkshire. My Uncle is under the impression that he was involved in 3 wars but I'm really not so sure about that.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anthony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 3073 Cpl. J. Speight, 18th Hussars (Queen Mary's Own) 11 years 8 months ago #5583

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Anthony
And a warm welcome to the forum.
A search on Find My Past shows Corporal J.Speight serving with B Squadron 18th Hussars.
His clasp entitlement on his QSA was Orange Free State and Transvaal.
It also states he was a prisoner and released on 24th December 1900 near Uitkyk.
Unable to find any service history though.
Hope this helps.

Paul :)

duarcain wrote: Hello!

I'm hoping someone out there can provide me with any information on this officer. I believe him to be a half-brother of one of my great-granddad's.

My Uncle has his medals, two of which are the Queen's South Africa Medal and the King's South Africa Medal (both with various clasps). If memory serves me right there is also a Long Service medal, so obviously he must have been a career soldier, as I believe you had to be in the Army for 18 years to qualify for that medal.

The great-granddad in question was a man named Robert Tennant from Bradford, Yorkshire. My Uncle is under the impression that he was involved in 3 wars but I'm really not so sure about that.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anthony

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: 3073 Cpl. J. Speight, 18th Hussars (Queen Mary's Own) 11 years 8 months ago #5586

• duarcain
  • duarcain's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Paul.

Thank you for the information.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds