• Page:

TOPIC:

3888 Pte A FOX Glouc : Regt 11 years 8 months ago #5584

• Glosterboy
  • Glosterboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello. I have in my possession a "Defence of Ladysmith" medal awarded to my grandfather. 3888 Pte Albert Fox. Enscribed on the medal is his number, name and GLOUC : REGt. I've also the chocolate box given to the troops by Queen Victoria at Christmas 1900. I'm searched and searched for more information of the time he spent in SA. All to no avail. I also have a photo of him with two army colleagues at the grave-side of a No 4031 Pte F.Bowl D.Coy 1st Gloster Regt who died on the 8th November 1898. On the reverse of the photo is Bengal Photographers 19/3 Bow Bazaar St. CALCUTTA.

Any information regarding Pte Albert Fox would be much appreciated. Plus if there is anybody requiring information of Pte F Bowl?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 3888 Pte A FOX Glouc : Regt 11 years 8 months ago #5587

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Glosterboy.
A search on Find My Past shows 3888 Pte Albert Fox Glouc Regt shows 8 pages of service history.
Pte.Fox attested on 18th Feb 1893 he was discharged on 17th Feb 1905
He served in Malta,Egypt,India,South Africa & Ceylon.
His papers confirm the DoL clasp to his QSA.
His Father is shown as George fox residing at Drypool nr Cheltenham.

Hope this helps
Paul :)

Glosterboy wrote: Hello. I have in my possession a "Defence of Ladysmith" medal awarded to my grandfather. 3888 Pte Albert Fox. Enscribed on the medal is his number, name and GLOUC : REGt. I've also the chocolate box given to the troops by Queen Victoria at Christmas 1900. I'm searched and searched for more information of the time he spent in SA. All to no avail. I also have a photo of him with two army colleagues at the grave-side of a No 4031 Pte F.Bowl D.Coy 1st Gloster Regt who died on the 8th November 1898. On the reverse of the photo is Bengal Photographers 19/3 Bow Bazaar St. CALCUTTA.

Any information regarding Pte Albert Fox would be much appreciated. Plus if there is anybody requiring information of Pte F Bowl?

Thanks.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: 3888 Pte A FOX Glouc : Regt 11 years 8 months ago #5588

• Glosterboy
  • Glosterboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Paul. It just so happens that buying the Mail on a daily basis allows me credits to the "Find my Past" records. I'm now aware that the 8 pages of service records relating to my grandfather are held in the "Chelsea" file. Thanks again for the information you have provided. It is much appreciated. Mike.

Re: 3888 Pte A FOX Glouc : Regt 11 years 8 months ago #5589

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
No Problem Mike,
Well worth downloading the papers as they show good details and can lead to further research.

Paul :)

Glosterboy wrote: Thanks Paul. It just so happens that buying the Mail on a daily basis allows me credits to the "Find my Past" records. I'm now aware that the 8 pages of service records relating to my grandfather are held in the "Chelsea" file. Thanks again for the information you have provided. It is much appreciated. Mike.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds