TOPIC:

Old family photo 12 years 7 months ago #989

• BruceR
  • BruceR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I found this old family photo of a distant relative.

I know very little about the Anglo Boer war but I find this photo fascinating. All I know is was what is written on the back which is "Frank White (left) in the Boer war"

His clothes do not look like a uniform to me, perhaps he was working on the machine behind him. From census records I think he was born in 1864.

If anyone can tell me more about the photo I would be fascinated to hear about it. I am not expecting specific information about the people, just anything that can make me understand the photo better.

Thanks

Bruce

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Old family photo 12 years 7 months ago #1019

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Bruce,

Not a direct answer to your question but another line of enquiry.

There are two people called Frank White, born in 1864, who have papers in the National Archives and on FindMyPast.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: Old family photo 12 years 7 months ago #1020

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I was looking at the vehicle in the background, trying to identify it. It is smaller that the steam traction engines in use during the Boer War. I thought it might be a type of field generator that was powered by steam?

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: Old family photo 12 years 7 months ago #1057

• BruceR
  • BruceR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks djb!

I'm not sure that either of those Frank White's are my relative, I'm pretty sure he was born in Cornwall. Judging by the photo he may not even have been part of the army, perhaps some sort of ancilliary role to do with the engine in the background.

As far as the engine is concerned, I'm sure you are correct that it is some sort of steam driven power generator. It does not look as if the wheels are driven, they look more like cart wheels. I guess it could be any piece of machinery that was pressed into service as needs arose, perhaps to drive machine tools for repairs.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.185 seconds