• Page:

TOPIC:

William CLARK 12 years 7 months ago #990

• bearkin
  • bearkin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I am new to this forum and am researching the war record of my great grandfather William CLARK. He was born in 1866 in Croydon and according the curator at Chelsea Hospital he served in the Rifle Brigade, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, and Royal Army Ordnance Corps. In became an out-pensioner on 26/11/1919, with 19 years service, and in-pensioner on 14/10/1927.

I cannot find his records in WO383 or WO384 so I am trying to piece his service histoy together by other means and it is here I am hoping someone might help me.

According to my family he served in the 2nd Boer, and I am trying to figure what is the most likely regiment he might have served in. The curator at Chelsea thinks the RAOC was his last regiment, and this makes sense as it was not formed until 1918. Therefore, he must have served either in the RB or KOYLI in the Boer War.

According the records he was a railway shunter in New Cross from April 1897 until 29/9/1899 when he resigned. In the records it says he was recommended to the job by the Army. My guess is he resigned his job to rejoin the Army to go the Boer War, or was an Army reservist called back to serve. He was absent from the 1901 census. However, he was back in the UK by May 1902, as his son was born in Feb 1903. Looking at the shipping records, he would appear he went with the 1st Batt Rifle Brigade as they sailed on 28/10/1899. The KOYLI were already in Africa, the 2nd Bat RB were in Crete, and the 4th Bat RB did not leave until 15/12/1901.

Does this make sense and is this a reasonable conclusion?
Does anyone know when the 1st Bat RB returned to England? Would this fit with the birth of his son?

Looking at the medal rolls for the 1st Bat RB I can only find 3 William Clark(e)s rn 348, 9263, 9936. My William is recorded in the 1891 census as an Army Reserve. Would any of these numbers fit with this information? These numbers suggest enlistment for all 3 William Clark(e)s in 1889. Which does not really fit with someone being an reservist in 1891 unless his RN changed when he became a reservist - is this possible?

Any help or insights to help me track William's Boer War record would be really appreciated. Particularly, information regarding the date of return of the 1st Bat RB to England would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds