Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Walking the battlefields of Talana, Elandslaagte and Ladysmith 8 years 4 months ago #44305

• caparkinson
  • caparkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, (I hope this thread is the correct place to ask these questions)

I'm planning a visit to Dundee and Ladysmith early next year with a plan to walk the battlefields of the first phase of the war. I just wondered if anybody had first hand experience of the area? Is much of the landscape unchanged? Are there many memorials and sites to see and also any advice on places to stay? I'll be sure to share my photos and videos on my return. Many thanks, Chris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walking the battlefields of Talana, Elandslaagte and Ladysmith 8 years 4 months ago #44311

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
www.zulu.org.za/discover/destinations/battlefields

Chris
The link above would be a good starting point, and you should be able to get some guidance from the site. Presumably, you do not intend to engage the services of a professional guide, but it would be the best way of ensuring you get the most out of your trip. Perhaps you could hire a guide for just a day or two to plan your itinerary.
You will already know from your earlier visit to Zululand that this is an unsafe country, especially if you are travelling alone in out-of-the-way places.
Brett

Walking the battlefields of Talana, Elandslaagte and Ladysmith 8 years 4 months ago #44320

• caparkinson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Brett, many thanks for your quick response. The www.battlefieldsroute.co.za/ website has useful info. Do you know any really good guides in the area? I'm thinking it might be nice to hire the services of one who can help me to plan and pinpoint specific places of interest that may not be easy to find alone. I'm going to focus on Talana, Elandslaagte and Ladysmith on the next trip so an expert on those sites would be great. Or if anybody else has any useful first hand experience that would also be excellent. C

Walking the battlefields of Talana, Elandslaagte and Ladysmith 8 years 4 months ago #44331

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Chris, I have sent you a PM.
Brett

Walking the battlefields of Talana, Elandslaagte and Ladysmith 8 years 4 months ago #44340

• caparkinson
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Brett, have seen and responded. All the best, C.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds