Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Loxton's Horse 8 years 1 week ago #46222

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
While looking through diary entries on a trooper's service in the Volunteer Composite Regiment (see reference below), I came across the following entry:
Tuesday 26 February 1901
Utrecht district. Today we saw for the first time in this war a looting corps of 28 men called Loxton's Horse. They keep 75% of all they can loot, receiving no pay. This is a big shame as we who have been out 17 months cannot keep a horse, even if we catch them, and these men only follow us when we have cleared the country, like a lot of jackals."

The 'clearing of the country' refers to the 'scorched earth policy' that the VCR and other units were putting into effect in the south-eastern Transvaal. The diarist has much to say about this policy as well, and I will post about that subject later.

I had a vague memory of the name 'Loxton's Horse', but I was surprised to read about the purpose of its existence. The only other useful information I could find about it was in Meurig Jones' 'Register of the Anglo-Boer War'. Meurig writes that Loxton's Horse was "a mysterious unit" , and its role was "encouraged by Lord Kitchener himself". Also rather shockingly, the unit was "raised and led by Samuel Loxton", who had formerly been Sergeant S Loxton DCM of the Natal Corps of Guides. I wonder if he was welcomed back into Natal as a hero after his service with Loxton's Horse?

It would be interesting to know if Meurig or anyone else has more information about this unit.

Reference: Coghlan, M. 2004. From the very beginning to the very end. The diary and letters of J B Nicholson, Natal Carbineers. Part 2. Natalia 34: 17-49.

Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Loxton's Horse 8 years 1 week ago #46225

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
LOL, the Forty Thieves! :woohoo:

Loxton's Horse 8 years 1 week ago #46230

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Hello Brett

Thanks for that snippet of information (and the complete reference) - gives a size and date and location to the unit. Loxton's Horse remain mysterious, I am busy "re-doing" ABW DCMs. All I have picked up recently on Loxton's Horse is a reference from South Africa Magazine 1903-05-23 p. 599 - restating that Samuel Loxton was "asked" by Kitchener to set up a unit to loot Boer farms.

For those who like medals here is the only known Loxton Horse casualty - named to Cpl 411 CW Abel Natal Carbineers (DoL & T), the connection to Loxton's Horse and his death comes from the medal roll and Steve Watt's In Memoriam :

This medal and Loxton's Horse were discussed on the BMF .

The scruffy 15 Star trio below belongs to a relative, possibly a nephew, not a son: Acting QMS PC Abel SAMC, who as a Pte with a Field Ambulance SAMC was captured by Manie Maritz (of ABW fame) in the 1914 rebellion.

All the medals came together, I knew about the Loxton's Horse connection when I bought them, PC Abel's history was a complete (and very nice) surprise.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:

Loxton's Horse 8 years 1 week ago #46240

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank & Meurig
Thank you for your responses.

Meurig
You were fortunate to acquire the Abel medals! In my opinion, the Corporal got what he deserved. The trio is also special. There cannot be many 1914 Rebellion PoW groups in circulation. As an aside, P C Abel would not have received any medals had he not continued in service after his PoW experience. The 1914 Rebellion was regarded as an internal matter by the British Government, so participants did not qualify for British medals.

Regards
Brett

Loxton's Horse 8 years 1 week ago #46241

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
Great medal that Meurig.

Loxtons's Horse reminds me of that other mythical unit - the Lebombo Scouts - who existed but had no medals named to them.

I would have thought that at least F Loxton himself would have had a medal named to a unit he brought into being but no, his medal is named to the Natal Corps of Guides.

Interestingly he was a Captain in the RASC in the Great War. I wonder where his medals are?

Regards

Rory

Loxton's Horse 8 years 1 week ago #46242

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Brett - PC Abel earned his trio in GSWA and then GEA.

Rory - thanks, only one Loxton recorded on the market: H Loxton DCM & QSA, City Coins Nov 2007. There is a roll for Loxton's Horse WO100/258p26 with two names, only one medal appears to have been issued and that was in 1957. Incidentally the roll, prepared in 1906 was signed by one Sidney W Reynolds "late OC Loxton's Horse" - an ancestor?

I think this unit deserves a quick blog.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds