Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. JF Hawkins, Robert's Horse PoW Sanna's Post 31.3.1901 7 years 6 months ago #48737

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 289
Queen’s South Africa, 5 bars, Relief of Kimberley, Paardebeerg, Driefontein, Transvaal, SA 1901, Lieutenant J.F. Hawkins, Roberts Horse, Made Prisoner of War at Sanna's Post.

The regiment occupying the ‘Post of Honour’ that of rear-guard and the splendid stand which they made had resulted in the fact that any of the guns were saved.

He was captured and made prisoner of war in action at Sanna’s Post (Korn Spruit) and later released.

On the 31/03/1900, which was the first action of the War when large scale guerrilla tactics were deployed by the Boers, leading to 155 dead or wounded, 428 captured British soldiers out of 2000 men and 7 guns were captured out of 12 total, also 117 wagons were captured. Compared to the Boers who had 3 dead and 5 wounded out of 400 men with 1600 distantly engaged. Robert’s horse were part of the Mounted Brigade as part of Broadwood’s force with Q & U Batteries R.H.A. and a regiment of the 10th Hussars, NZ & Burma M.R.

On this day, 5 Victoria Crosses were awarded for the action, 4 to Q battery and one to Lieutenant Maxwell who was attached to Roberts Horse and was serving beside Lt Hawkins.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lt. JF Hawkins, Robert's Horse PoW Sanna's Post 31.3.1901 7 years 6 months ago #48745

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
John
This is an excellent medal! Thank you for showing it (and the others earlier). I am pleased that you still have the Boer War in your sights!
Regards
Brett

Lt. JF Hawkins, Robert's Horse PoW Sanna's Post 31.3.1901 7 years 6 months ago #48747

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Are you thinking about buying it, Brett? :woohoo:

Lt. JF Hawkins, Robert's Horse PoW Sanna's Post 31.3.1901 7 years 6 months ago #48749

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
No, Frank! Since my wife is from the Free State, and the eastern Free State is geographically part of Natal, I did once consider extending my collecting boundaries across the Drakensberg. However, sanity based on financial considerations prevailed. Had it not, I would certainly been keen to acquire Hawkins' medal - great regiment in a great battle.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.778 seconds