• Page:

TOPIC:

William Pollok-Morris PoW Pretoria 18TH Hussars 9 years 1 month ago #26144

• Chipperwillie13
  • Chipperwillie13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Just trying to trace name of the PoW camp in Pretoria where my Grandfather. William Pollock-Morris was imprisoned. He served as Adjutant for the 18th Hussars and I believe was captured at Ladysmith. Amongst his fellow PoWs was Winston Churchill who had been ambushed when travelling by train as a reporter, by the Boers.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Pollok-Morris PoW Pretoria 18TH Hussars 9 years 1 month ago #26146

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Further down the posts on this Topic is the item: British POWs released from Waterval camp. Capt. and Adjudant W.P.M. Pollock was "recovered" on 06061900 at Pretoria. I assume he was held in Waterval POW camp.This was notified in The Times of 20061900. The Natal Field Force casualty list shows "Capt. PALLOK W.P.M. as Missing on 20101899 in Natal - released later. There is some information about the activities of Capt. Pollock (spelling varies!) in "The 18th Hussars in SA" prior to his capture. There is a great deal more info on him in our host's book: "Talana Account and Medal Roll".
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chipperwillie13

William Pollok-Morris PoW Pretoria 18TH Hussars 9 years 1 month ago #26147

• Chipperwillie13
  • Chipperwillie13's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear IL

Many thanks indeed for your rapid-fire response. This is much appreciated as my sister is touring SA as I write and is in the Pretoria are. For various reasons, like so many we are as family very short on information on my grandfather's time in SA as a PoW. This will help us push forward and as a new member I have been amazed by your response.

William Pollok-Morris PoW Pretoria 18TH Hussars 9 years 1 month ago #26150

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Chipperwillie 13
Glad to assist you in your quest! Are you aware that your GF was awarded a Distinguished Service Order for his services in SA? His time as PoW, however, would not have been as exciting as his other exploits.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.356 seconds