• Page:

TOPIC:

3059, Pte henry Wakeley, Wiltshire Regiment 4 years 11 months ago #63006

• grahamila
  • grahamila's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I know this man was taken prisoner at Rensburg on 14 February 1900 and was released on an unknown date. Does anyone have any further information on this man?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3059, Pte henry Wakeley, Wiltshire Regiment 4 years 11 months ago #63016

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
WO363 confirms that Harry Wakeley, an eighteen year old labourer and serving Militiaman from Melksham, joined the Army, the Wiltshire Regiment in October 1891, transferred to the Army Reserve in 1898, but, was recalled for the Anglo Boer War the following year being posted to the 2nd Wiltshire's on the 4th of December.
He served in South Africa from the 16th of December 1899 until the 12th of September 1902, being discharged on the 20th of October 1903.

Very much a fairly typical Tommy Atkins, he would volunteer to serve again during the Great War

3059, Pte henry Wakeley, Wiltshire Regiment 4 years 11 months ago #63019

• grahamila
  • grahamila's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks Frank. Do you have any further information of those taken prisoner at Rensburg?

3059, Pte henry Wakeley, Wiltshire Regiment 4 years 11 months ago #63031

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes indeed, I think it was just one of those absolutely typical scenarios that would play out again, just fourteen years later, the officer commanding orders his men to retire at a given point in time, then changes his mind, leaves early with the result that a portion of his men do not retire at all and are simply left to fight it out, it had happened before and would certainly do so again..
I should have a look throughout their published regimental history if I were you.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.708 seconds