Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

William Brooks Featherstonehaugh - a Rhodesian Pioneer 5 years 8 months ago #59483

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
Yesterday I purchased a pair of medals awarded to William Brooks Featherstonehaugh. The surname is pronounced "Fanshaw " , which is odd, but the English love this sort of thing to trip up the unwary foreigner or member of the lower classes.
His medals were a BSA Co. medal ( 93 reverse with a 96 bar) named up to Trooper. Raaff's Column. This was only part of the story as the rolls reveal that he was a Trooper in the BSA Co. Police on the 1890 Pioneer Column and although entitled to the 1890 medal, he never claimed it. The roll also showed that he was also on the roll of the MRF and he was a Sergeant in Roberson's Cape Boys.
His QSA ( bars CC and SA01) has him as a Trooper in Cullinan's Horse. His service number was 1, but Sgt. John Carr had the same service number, so I'm not sure what went on with the Admin. of the unit.
L ots of research to be done. Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks
Mike
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Brooks Featherstonehaugh - a Rhodesian Pioneer 5 years 8 months ago #59484

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2120
Not much on him yet Mike - but here's his father's Death Notice (1901) Swellendam, Cape Colony.

Your man is the 3rd of a long list of children. Unsure whether or not he was born in 1864 in Somerset or in and about the same year in SA.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

William Brooks Featherstonehaugh - a Rhodesian Pioneer 5 years 8 months ago #59499

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
Thanks Rory,
That gives a little context to the origins of Bill Fanshaw ( as his mates would have called him after the initial explanations and bemused expressions) . Looking at the names of mother and her female children, I guess that his father had married a girl of Dutch origins.
I wonder if the Cape Archives has anything.
Regards
Mike

William Brooks Featherstonehaugh - a Rhodesian Pioneer 5 years 8 months ago #59500

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2120
Only the two references for WB that I told you about Mike - the Claim for Compensation file will be your biggest friend apropos his movements and antecedents.

Rory

William Brooks Featherstonehaugh - a Rhodesian Pioneer 5 years 8 months ago #59503

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The surname is pronounced Fanshaw, really, I doubt that very much.

mike rowan wrote: Yesterday I purchased a pair of medals awarded to William Brooks Featherstonehaugh. The surname is pronounced "Fanshaw " , which is odd, but the English love this sort of thing to trip up the unwary foreigner or member of the lower classes.
His medals were a BSA Co. medal ( 93 reverse with a 96 bar) named up to Trooper. Raaff's Column. This was only part of the story as the rolls reveal that he was a Trooper in the BSA Co. Police on the 1890 Pioneer Column and although entitled to the 1890 medal, he never claimed it. The roll also showed that he was also on the roll of the MRF and he was a Sergeant in Roberson's Cape Boys.
His QSA ( bars CC and SA01) has him as a Trooper in Cullinan's Horse. His service number was 1, but Sgt. John Carr had the same service number, so I'm not sure what went on with the Admin. of the unit.
L

ots of research to be done. Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks
Mike

William Brooks Featherstonehaugh - a Rhodesian Pioneer 5 years 8 months ago #59514

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
He appears to be shown in WO100/240 as 321 Private, Special Cape Police.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike rowan

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.496 seconds