TOPIC:

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 6 years 10 months ago #53374

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
SAGS to Pte J Guthrie, 3/60th Foot, who was killed in action during the First Boer War in the disaster at Ingogo River on 8 February 1881

Picture courtesy of DNW

SAGS (1) 1879 (2110. Pte. J. Guthrie. 3/60th Foot.)

The following extract is taken from Rifleman and Hussar, by Colonel Sir Percival Marling, V.C., C.B.:

‘About 2.30 p.m. Sir George Colley sent Captain McGregor, R.E., to Colonel Ashburnham with a message that he was to send a company of the 60th Rifles out to the left, as he thought the Boers were going to rush the position. Colonel Ashburnham pointed out to the Staff Officer that ‘I’ Company were the only reserve he had, and asked would not half a company be sufficient. The Staff Officer replied “My orders are, sir, from the General, that you are to send a company, and if you will let me have them I will show you where to go. This company, ‘I’, was commanded by Lieutenant Garrett, the other subaltern being Lieutenant Beaumont. The Staff Officer, Captain McGregor, went out with them, mounted. There is no doubt that he took them farther than he should have done. Captain McGregor, R.E., was himself killed. It was inevitable, considering the mark he presented. ‘I’ Company and the Boers were now only about 50 yards apart. Garrett was killed quite early, and every man in the company except 9 was either killed or wounded. Nothing could have been more gallant than their behaviour, many of them being quite young soldiers.’

Casualties in the 3/60th at Ingogo River amounted to 4 officers and 61 other ranks killed or died of wounds, a few of whom were drowned. A further 2 officers and 53 other ranks were wounded.

DNW, July 2016 £2,200 (hammer)
Jager Medals, May 2017 £3,285
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 6 years 10 months ago #53382

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David
Thank you for this post. The 1st Boer War was one the British wanted to forget, and, with incidents like the Ingogo River disaster, there was good reason to reduce it to a footnote in British military history. Lessons could have been learnt from it, but mistakes were repeated after Round 2 started in 1899. It is foolish to underestimate the enemy.
Regards
Brett

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 4 years 8 months ago #64507

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

SAGS (1) 1879 (803. Pte. P. Shiels. 94th Foot.)

Patrick Shields was born at Dundalk, County Louth, and attested for the 94th Foot on 8 August 1877, aged 18. He served abroad in South Africa from 26 February 1879 to 5 July 1881, and was severely wounded in both legs at Bronkhorst Spruit on 20 December 1880.

He was transferred to 1st Class Army Reserve on 17 April 1884, and was discharged on 3 April 1890.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 4 years 8 months ago #64508

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

SAGS (1) 1879 (1593. Pte. F. Crick. 94th Foot.)

Frederick Crick was killed in action at Bronkhorst Spruit on 20 December 1880.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 4 years 8 months ago #64509

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

SAGS (1) 1878-9 (102 Pte. H. Owens. 1/13th Foot.)

Henry Owens enlisted into the 1/13th Foot at Taunton, Somerset, on 8 June 1874, aged 18. He participated in the Sekukuni campaign of 1878 and in the Anglo-Zulu war of 1879, and was severely wounded at the battle of Ulundi on 4 July 1879. He was recovering in hospital at the General Depot at Pietermaritzburg, Natal, from July to September 1879, and was transferred to 1st Class Army Reserve on 11 June 1880. He appears to have been discharged from the Army Reserve on 7 July 1886.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to casualties in the First Boer War 4 years 8 months ago #64510

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

SAGS (1) 1879 (2374 Pte. W. Roberts. 2-21st Foot.)

William Roberts was killed in action during the siege of Pretoria on 14 January 1881 - the Pay List gives the date as 17 January. The 2/21st had three men killed and one officer wounded during the siege.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.747 seconds