Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

POW Francois Jacobus Lötter ~ Prisoner 24901 4 years 3 months ago #67260

• ivanlotter
  • ivanlotter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 10
Francois Jacobus Lötter was born on the farm Kareelaagte, Pearston In 1877. He served under his cousin in the Lötter Commando. He was captured during the Battle of Groenkloof on 5 September 1901, and sent to Bermuda. Nr.49 in attached picture.

nr 69 J Lötter, is Johannes Jurgens Lötter, g2 Johannes Jurgens born Volkersrivier, Somerset-Oos 28-2-1884 baptised ≈ Somerset-Oos 4-9-1884 LÖTTER Kommando captured 5-9-1901 † 21-7-1963 Fort Victoria, Rhodesië. 16 Years old when captured, according to Taffy Shearings book he got Corporal Punishment and was not banned to any of the POW camps. His father was Christoffel Johannes Lötter, the oldest brother of the Kommandant. So Kommandant Hans Lötter was Johannes Jurgens Lötter uncle. This family left the area after the war and went to Rhodesië. My grandfather used to visit them in Rhodesia on the farm in the 30's.

The rest of the commandos numbers and names as per the National Archives. Once the Lötter Commando Unit Infomation page is created I will elaborate more on the person's details that I have.

(48) J Kemp (49) F Lotter, Pearston. (50) B Bosch,Pearston. (51) M Greef, Pearston. (52) G Botha, Eersteverlies, Cradock (53) H Erasmus, Beestehoek, Cradock. (54) A Viljoen (55) S Viljoen, Middelburg (56) D Viljoen, Grootehoek, Middelburg (57) HJ van Rooyen, Cradock (58) JM van Rooyen, Cradock (59) H Coetzee, Oudeplaats, Middelburg. (60) W Joubert, Hanover (61) LP Kruger, Modderfontein, Cradock (62) JS Kruger, Elandskraal, Cradock (63) JJ Kruger, Elandskraal, Cradock (64) L Kruger, Elandskraal, Cradock (65) GMT Steenekamp, Modderfontein, Cradock (66) J Bester, Spitskop, Middelburg (67) Lieut. D Breedt, Bethulie (68) FAJ Pretorius, Rietpoort, Cradock (69) J Lotter, Somerset East (70) H Visser, Jaght Poort, Richmond
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

POW Francois Jacobus Lötter ~ Prisoner 24901 4 years 3 months ago #67277

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Ivan,

A fantastic picture. Do you have names to do with all the numbers?

I have slightly altered your post to insert the image so that it can be seen without clicking on it. After you have attached the picture, you go to the place in the text where you want to insert and click on the Insert button below the image.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

POW Francois Jacobus Lötter ~ Prisoner 24901 4 years 3 months ago #67284

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
The photo is No 3 in a series of 5 reproduced with full names in the booklet "Commandant Johannes Lötter and his Rebels" by Taffy and David Shearing
Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

POW Francois Jacobus Lötter ~ Prisoner 24901 4 years 3 months ago #67285

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi again
F J Lötter is No 49 on the photo
Henk

POW Francois Jacobus Lötter ~ Prisoner 24901 4 years 3 months ago #67295

• ivanlotter
I ordered the pictures from the archives in the 90's. Their names are on the archive record entries.

POW Francois Jacobus Lötter ~ Prisoner 24901 4 years 3 months ago #67296

• ivanlotter
nr 69 J Lötter, is Johannes Jurgens Lötter, g2 Johannes Jurgens born Volkersrivier, Somerset-Oos 28-2-1884 baptised ≈ Somerset-Oos 4-9-1884 LÖTTER Kommando captured 5-9-1901 † 21-7-1963 Fort Victoria, Rhodesië. 16 Years old when captured, according to Taffy Shearings book he got Corporal Punishment and was not banned to any of the POW camps. His father was Christoffel Johannes Lötter, the oldest brother of the Kommandant. So Kommandant Hans Lötter was Johannes Jurgens Lötter uncle. This family left the area after the war and went to Rhodesië. My grandfather used to visit them in Rhodesia on the farm in the 30's.

The rest of the commandos numbers and names as per the National Archives. Once the Lötter Commando Unit Infomation page is created I will elaborate more on the person's details that I have.

(48) J Kemp (49) F Lotter, Pearston. (50) B Bosch,Pearston. (51) M Greef, Pearston. (52) G Botha, Eersteverlies, Cradock (53) H Erasmus, Beestehoek, Cradock. (54) A Viljoen (55) S Viljoen, Middelburg (56) D Viljoen, Grootehoek, Middelburg (57) HJ van Rooyen, Cradock (58) JM van Rooyen, Cradock (59) H Coetzee, Oudeplaats, Middelburg. (60) W Joubert, Hanover (61) LP Kruger, Modderfontein, Cradock (62) JS Kruger, Elandskraal, Cradock (63) JJ Kruger, Elandskraal, Cradock (64) L Kruger, Elandskraal, Cradock (65) GMT Steenekamp, Modderfontein, Cradock (66) J Bester, Spitskop, Middelburg (67) Lieut. D Breedt, Bethulie (68) FAJ Pretorius, Rietpoort, Cradock (69) J Lotter, Somerset East (70) H Visser, Jaght Poort, Richmond
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.498 seconds