• Page:

TOPIC:

Boer prisioner of war confirmation 6 years 11 months ago #53271

• Bean
  • Bean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
While researching my Trent family in SA. I found most of them served on the British side (Siege of O'kiep) except for one branch that lived in Amsterdam, Ermelo.
I found info for young Trent girls who died in the Volksrus concentration camp.
I know of only one Trent who could be their father and that is Sidney Samuel Trent who owned a farm in this area
Yesterday I received a death notice for a Rachel Trent born circa 1874 died 1935, on the notice it states her husband James Trent died in India many years ago.
This James would be the missing brother of Sidney Trent, (still looking for information of another brother John.)
I have gone through the list of prisoners and cannot find any information for Trent's.
Is there anyway I can find more information to confirm if James Trent was indeed a prisoner of war.
Any info would be appreciated
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer prisioner of war confirmation 6 years 10 months ago #53274

• kvdw
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Bean

The best source for information on Boer POWs that I know of is the website of the Anglo-Boer War Museum. It has an extensive searchable database, which searches multiple fields (including prisoner name, address, date of capture, where captured, etc.). You can find the database here: www.wmbr.org.za/view.asp?pg=research&pgs...tabases&head1=Search .

I did a quick search for “Trent”, but I’m afraid I wasn’t able to find anything. However, it might still be worth having a look, perhaps trying some variations on the surname. Also, you might try to contact a researcher at the museum – I don’t know what sort of advice or services they offer, and therefore whether they would be able to help you, but the contact email for general research queries is [email protected].

I also had a quick look at the details of some of the members of the Boer League of Veterans from the Ermelo district, and a few I could find from Amsterdam in particular (info on members of the League are available on the same database). As far as I could ascertain from this very quick, very superficial search, if Trent joined his local commando, he may well have served under Hans Grobler or Izak Greyling, if that’s any help. However, that is by no means certain – as I said, I make this inference from only a cursory search, and I have no expert knowledge in this area. I mention it only as a potential thread to follow – probably best to check with someone at the museum (or someone more knowledgeable than I on this site)!

Good luck with your search!

Regards
kvdw

Boer prisioner of war confirmation 6 years 10 months ago #53276

• Bean
  • Bean's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Many thanks for you response. kvdw
I have take your advise and sent an email.
I also found information of other family (Trent) member's on the site that fought for the British side.
So you have been a great help.

Boer prisioner of war confirmation 5 years 9 months ago #59113

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Hello Bean

Did someone of the War Museum assist you with your query? There were no pow's with the surname Trent. However I found the Insolvent Estate papers for Sydney Samuel Trent at the archives in Pretoria. See attached.

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.453 seconds