Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Edward WERTHEIM, Johannesburg Cdo. 3 years 9 months ago #70155

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 762
Edward Wertheim was a "boerejood" and fought with the Fordsburg / Johannesburg Cdo on the Natal front.
His ABO Vorm B shows he fought at Elandslaagte, Nicholsons Nek, Colenso, Spioenkop, Vaalkrans and Pieters Hill [where he was captured on 27 Feb 1900]. He was transported to Ceylon as a POW. His carved Boer Mauser Carbine was taken as a souvenier after the relief of Ladysmith, by Dr Robert Andrew Buntine, Captain, Natal Carbineers [who was thought worthy of the VC - see www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...robert-buntine-story ]. The carbine was handed down to the owner of Three Tree Hill lodge near Spioenkop, where it is proudly displayed. Attached are: Vorm B, ledger of POWs, and photo of butt of Mauser.
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Edward WERTHEIM, Johannesburg Cdo. 3 years 9 months ago #70217

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
A very interesting read Rob. I wonder if the owner would part with Wertheim's rifle? It would go nicely with Buntine's medals.

Do you have the medal to Wertheim?

Regards

Rory

Edward WERTHEIM, Johannesburg Cdo. 3 years 9 months ago #70235

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 762
Thanks, Rory,

- Wertheim's Mauser carbine is part of Three Tree Hill lodge's collection, almost certainly not for sale.
Simon, who owns the lodge, does have some background info. on Buntine. If you wanted Simon's contact details, PM or email me: [email protected]
- As far as Wertheim's ABO medal, sorry, I have no idea who has it - I got the paperwork to accompany the carbine. His oath of allegiance paper did come up for sale a couple of years ago, in Durban I believe.

all the best
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.663 seconds