Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Belmont 8 months 2 weeks ago #91442

• Lauren
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
If any of you ever see this medal come up for sale again PLEASE let me know!
I have joined as many sites as I can think of to try and trace this medal but any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Belmont 8 months 2 weeks ago #91443

• Lauren
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

djb wrote: Offered for sale by Spink yesterday but did not sell.

QSA (1) Belmont (8941 Pte. W. Ogle, Scots Gds.), good very fine

The officers and men of the 1st Battalion, Scots Guards were heavily engaged at Belmont on 23 November 1899, Lord Methuen reporting that 'they carried out their instructions to the letter, and gained the heights at the point of the bayonet.' As a consequence, the battalion's losses were severe, being 10 men killed and three officers and 34 men wounded. Colonel Paget and three of his officers were highly praised by Lord Methuen and General Colvile.

William Ogle is commemorated on the Household Cavalry and Guards memorial in Holy Trinity, Windsor. He left a widow, Sarah Anne Ogle, a shirt maker, and a 2-year old daughter, Elizabeth Violet, who were living in Pomeroy Street, Camberwell, London at the time of his death.

Picture courtesy of Spink

If any of you ever see this medal come up for sale again PLEASE let me know!
I have joined as many sites as I can think of to try and trace this medal but any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Belmont 8 months 2 weeks ago #91444

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
Lauren,

You can send an email to spink and ask them to forward it to the buyer to see if they will sell it to you or bear you in mind when they do sell.
Dr David Biggins

Belmont 7 months 2 weeks ago #91973

• Lauren
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
To update this post. My great grandfather's medal was sold on ebay last weekend for £490. Sadly, despite setting up ebay search alerts, I did not see it advertised and missed the chance to buy it and get it back. I have messaged the seller asking if he would message the new buyer to let them know I am looking for it. I can only hope ...

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.699 seconds