Kotzee, H E P. Burger 9 years 3 days ago #32732

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
2 duplicate names on the roll.

Forename/initials: Hermanus Efbertus P. Served: Wolmaranstad.

Forename/initials: Hermanus Egbert P. Served: Wolmaranstad. Received the Wound Ribbon (Lint voor Verwonding).

Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kotzee, H E P. Burger 3 years 2 months ago #74863

• chrisff2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am researching my great grandfather, Hermanus Egbert Pieter Kotze/Kotzee/Coetzee. According to research I have found in the genealogy of others, he died 0n 01/04/1902, at the British hospital at Elandsfontein, having been badly wounded and taken prisoner in an action shortly before that. I believe that the action may have been the one referred to as Leeuwkop, involving the Queens Dragoon Guards, that took place on the night of 31 March and into 1 April. One record shows that my great grandfather came from a farm called Jakhalsfontein near Wolmaransstad. The situation is complicated by the fact that another man, with exactly the same names, from a different branch of the family, features in a good few records that show he was taken prisoner at Paardeberg, sent to St Helena and then returned to SA and apparently joined the Canadian Scouts in November 1901, before dying of fever at Pretoria on 11 December 1901. The handwritten records I have found show he was entitled to decorations on account of his brief service. I am intrigued to learn that your records have two men named H E P Kotze, one of whom received the Lint Voor Verwonding and wonder if you could tell me which of the two men received the decoration, and any other details that might help me to find out more about my relative?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds