Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Parker, George Henry 8 years 5 days ago #46259

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2147
Hello Lee Anne

I attach hereto a photo of what the medal issued to those who fought with the Boers looks like. Your relatives would have been able to claim this medal from the early 1920's onwards.

I suggest you get in touch with the SANDF documentation centre in Pretoria who may be able to assist you or e-mail Dewald Nel who could assist you '[email protected]'

Regards and good luck

Rory

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Parker, George Henry 8 years 5 days ago #46260

• leerat
  • leerat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Rory ,

Than you very much for your help it is greatly appreciated. I will get hold of them and will update you if I have had any luck.. Sorry I just wanted to ask most medals have names does this one have a particular name so I can refer to it by name when contacting the relevant people.

Regards
Lee-Ann

Parker, George Henry 8 years 4 days ago #46271

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Lee-Ann
This medal is named the Anglo-Boer War Medal in its English translation, and Anglo-Boere Oorlog Medalje in Dutch/Afrilkaans. Just as the British medals for this war are abbreviated to QSA and KSA, this one is the ABO.
Regards
Brett

Parker, George Henry 8 years 3 days ago #46287

• sahpa2000
  • Never, ever, ever give up!!!
  • Thank you received: 29

Example of the naming, this medal was awarded to an ex-British citizen who have fought in the Boer war just like your relative.

Rory is correct, their is no more ABO's left to apply for and even if their was. You would have required a superior that could confirm his participation. Mostly a leader of a Kommando unit with an officer rank.

That said, many exceptions was made...
Regards
Eric de Jager(SAHPA2000)
South African History Protection Association
Since 2000
Attachments:

Parker, George Henry 5 years 2 months ago #62383

• Alettie
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Lee-Ann,

My name is Alettie, I am new to this forum and looking for information about my great-great grandfather George Henry Parker who was killed in the Anglo Boer War.

The affidavit you posted is corroborating information I found and I feel so excited.

According to what I have found so far - I have his death notice which also states he was shot in action on 23 November 1899 in Estcourt KZN. He was married to Susanna Catherina nee Liebenberg and they were from the Sterkfontein, Krugersdorp district where he worked as a Lime Burner before going to the war. His wife and children were put in the British Concentration Camp in Irene where one of the children died and the rest were sent back to Sterkfontein before being released. On his death notice it's also written that he had some immovable property which has been destroyed by the troops.

If you have any more information you can share, please do contact me.

Kind regards
Attachments:

Parker, George Henry 5 years 2 months ago #62384

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Alettie
The next-of-kin of G H Parker did not apply for his ABO. There were ABO's issued to a number of other Burghers with the surname Parker.
Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alettie

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds