Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51357

• Recce60
  • Recce60's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking for information re grandfather, Charles Roger Ashton, who served with the 11th Hussars in the Boar War. He was there from 1899-1902. Is there a location to visit that might help get his service record and other information?

I'm writing this from Canada

Thank You
Robert Ashton
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51359

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Robert
The 11th Hussars did not serve in SA as a unit during 1899-1902. They were stationed in Egypt. However a reasonably large number of individuals did serve in SA attached to other units. I had a look on my CD of cavalry and could not find your GF - not to say he was not there. Perhaps he will be located on the roll of another unit; hopefully with a cross reference. I think Meurig dd some work on 11H men attached to other units. There seems to have been somewhere between one and nearly three hundred.
Re the pic you posted. Items of the kit worn appear to be more in the line of Imperial Yeomanry. The early form of cotton bandlolier shown first went out with the IY and the prominent P88 bayonet fitted on a rifle and then there is the slouch hat. The carbine appears to be a Martini; Martini-Enfield or Martini Metford in .303" were available for service (if not popular) in 1899-1902. However, the one shown has a sling - and cavalry carbines did not have slings. (True, some Martini Henry Cav. carbines were fitted with sling swivels; they were for the RGA - not the cavalry).
I don't wish to appear negative by making the above remarks - on active service, all sorts of mix-and-match did and still do happen.
Hopefully, another forum member may be able to add more. A final thought; do you know your GFs regimental number?
Regards
IL.

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51360

• Recce60
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
IL
Thank you for your response. As my grandfather had died before I was born I had no opportunity to talk to him about the picture or his service. However, you did bring up an interesting point. But, first: All the information I presented in my letter came from a copy his attestation paper when he enlisted in the Canadian Army during WWI. On it he stated he served in the 11th Hussars and the dates given were the dates I placed in my original letter to the site. Now the interesting point: He also mentioned he served in the IY. Thus, I conclude from the information you have presented the picture we, in the family, have always thought was 11th Hussars was actually IY. Could he then have been attached to the 11the Hussars? Also, it is my belief that the Yeomanry is what we in Canada call the reserves or militia? So was he called up for the Boar War and, as mentioned, served with the 11th Hussars but was still a member of the Yeomanry Regiment? In today’s world Canadian reservists volunteered to join serving regiments in Afghanistan.
Last, but not least, is/was there a difference between the word “Yeomanry” and the term “Imperial Yeomanry” Did the former stay in GB and the latter had the opportunity for empire service in distant lands? Or was the term just usual for all?
I will appreciate any comment you, or others, wish to offer.
Robert

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51361

• Recce60
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
IL
Thank you for your response. As my grandfather had died before I was born I had no opportunity to talk to him about the picture or his service. However, you did bring up an interesting point. But, first: All the information I presented in my letter came from a copy his attestation paper when he enlisted in the Canadian Army during WWI. On it he stated he served in the 11th Hussars and the dates given were the dates I placed in my original letter to the site. Now the interesting point: He also mentioned he served in the IY. Thus, I conclude from the information you have presented the picture we, in the family, have always thought was 11th Hussars was actually IY. Could he then have been attached to the 11the Hussars? Also, it is my belief that the Yeomanry is what we in Canada call the reserves or militia? So was he called up for the Boar War and, as mentioned, served with the 11th Hussars but was still a member of the Yeomanry Regiment? In today’s world Canadian reservists volunteered to join serving regiments in Afghanistan.
Last, but not least, is/was there a difference between the word “Yeomanry” and the term “Imperial Yeomanry” Did the former stay in GB and the latter had the opportunity for empire service in distant lands? Or was the term just usual for all?
Robert

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51362

• Recce60
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
IL
Robert

11th Hussars 7 years 3 months ago #51363

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Robert
I did check my Imperial Yeomanry CD to see if there was a match for a C.R.Ashton. No match. Your GF could have served in the Yeomanry prior to the ABW (the Yeomanry was then a reserve type unit for home service only). The many Companies/Squadrons of the Imperial Yeomanry were formed for the ABW and some continued after the ABW as an entity for home service until (I think) the formation of the Territorial army. The 11th Hussars were certainly not Yeomanry or Imperial Yeomanry. 11H was a regular formation with a good record of service.
So far there are only suppositions and possibilities. We really need more information before anything positive can be said. If there is an extended roll for the members of the 11H who served with other units during 1899-1902, hopefully your GF will be on it.
Regards
IL

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds