Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

An Imperial Yeomanry man - could he have been in other units ? 9 years 2 months ago #41990

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
I have just acquired a group of medals to Frederick Fox. His Qsa ( bars Cape Colony and SA 1902 ) is named to 38308 L Sergt F Fox 27th Bn. Imp Yeo. In WW1 he joined the SAEC for which he got a trio and later was awarded a Colonial Long Service as a Lieutenant in the Railways and Harbours Brigade. A group rather typical of the soldiers that came to fight the Boers and then liked the place enough to stay and make a life in South Africa.
I was told by the vendor that Fox had also seen service with the Colonial Scouts and the Natal Guides. There is naturally no actual proof of these assertions . F Fox is a pretty common name , so I wonder if he didnt see the name on rolls of these units and made the incorrect association . Can anyone help to prove ( or disprove ) Fox's membership of any colonial units ?
Many thanks
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

An Imperial Yeomanry man - could he have been in other units ? 9 years 2 months ago #41992

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1585
Mike
I had a look on my IY roll and it really only confirms what you have posted. My copy of BBM shows 27Bn IY as being Younghusband's Horse; Coys 119-126. Seems odd that the medal medal naming does not include the Coy. Perhaps because I have not seen one with just the Bn number in the naming. I had a run through the roll of the Colonial Scouts; no F.Fox. I also had a look in the Natal Corps of Guides roll; similarly no F.Fox.
Judging from the clasp entitlement, I would say that he simply got to the seat of war late in the day .
Regards
IL.

An Imperial Yeomanry man - could he have been in other units ? 9 years 2 months ago #41994

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 957
I'd actually be very surprised indeed to find this man have any service whatsoever before joining the Imperial Yeomanry, a manual search would be needed in WO128 to see, but, as for any SAMIF service, I would doubt it.

An Imperial Yeomanry man - could he have been in other units ? 9 years 2 months ago #42003

• mike rowan
  • mike rowan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 88
I think that I must agree that Fox's service was probably limited to time spent in the Imperial Yeomanry. Thanks for the help in checking the records. Much appreciated.
Mike

An Imperial Yeomanry man - could he have been in other units ? 9 years 2 months ago #42024

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 957
I don't think it matters whatsoever as long as you were not actually paying so sort of premium for "potential" other service.

An Imperial Yeomanry man - could he have been in other units ? 9 years 2 months ago #42031

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Mike,

I pulled his service record. He attested on 31 January 02. He was 20 and his previous service is given as 4th West Yorks Vol Artillery, Sheffield. He arrived in South Africa on 1 May 1902 and caught the last month of the war with 126 Company IY. A draughtsman by profession he was discharged at Cape Town at his own request on 19 November 1902.

All best,

Justin

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds