Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Paul Kruger image 22 hours 55 minutes ago #97056

• EFV
  • Thank you received: 508
On the subject of Kruger's image, can any member tell me something about this statue? Bought online 5 years ago, it is heavy (1.1 kg) solid bronze and 17 cm tall (without the socle which I added). It is unsigned and looks like mass production and of relatively recent date. Nonetheless the item has some charm and I wonder whether it was produced for some specific event.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D, Tunguska

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Paul Kruger image 5 hours 51 minutes ago #97064

• Tunguska
  • Away
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 8
Thank you EFV, an interesting piece (against the backdrop of a superb collection of ZAR badges!). I haven’t seen a similar piece. Perhaps the artist took at least some inspiration from Anton van Wouw’s statue of President Kruger, including the cane a top hat, but with a few different interpretations: Kruger is now sporting a moustache (which he never had); and the Presidential sash? is worn under his coat.

In 1897, the photographer Plumbe and Bradshaw took a number of photographs of the President in full regalia, which served as a basis for Anton van Wouw’s study for his iconic statue.

"Forcing my thoughts into an ordered sequence is a torment for me.”
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV

Paul Kruger image 5 hours 3 minutes ago #97065

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 840
EFV, while I can't add anything about the Kruger bronze stauette, I'd be very interested to see your OVS and ZAR badges - how about a new thread on Boer insignia?
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.642 seconds