Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Volunteer Regiments 11 years 5 months ago #11438

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2251
Hi Kevin

I have quite a bit to tell you!

Hulton started out life with the 69th Coy. Imperial Yeomanry (Susses) as no. 16461 and the rank of Corporal. He landed in South Africa on 24 April 1900 and was pronmoted to Lt.from the ranks on 4/2/01, on transfer to the SAMIF - South African Mounted Irregular Forces.

His QSA medal appears to have been issued off the IY roll and had the clasps Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Cape Colony and Transvaal.

His KSA medal was issued to the SAMIF and the rank of Lieutenant and had the standard SA 1901 and 1902 clasps.

He was Gazetted as a Railway Staff Officer so I suggest you get onto the free London Gazette website and download the relevant page for the Boer War period.

I noticed that his initials were, at times, intercahngable from JAG to AGJ.

In 1904 he was involved in a court case with one Frederick Gibson Manning - you would have to pull the SA Archive file for further details.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Volunteer Regiments 11 years 5 months ago #11439

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 957
Hello Rory,
Where does the Transvaal clasp come from?
Regards Frank

Rory wrote: Hi Kevin

Hulton started out life with the 69th Coy. Imperial Yeomanry (Susses) as no. 16461 and the rank of Corporal. He landed in South Africa on 24 April 1900 and was pronmoted to Lt.from the ranks on 4/2/01, on transfer to the SAMIF - South African Mounted Irregular Forces.

His QSA medal appears to have been issued off the IY roll and had the clasps Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Cape Colony and Transvaal.

His KSA medal was issued to the SAMIF and the rank of Lieutenant and had the standard SA 1901 and 1902 clasps.

He was Gazetted as a Railway Staff Officer so I suggest you get onto the free London Gazette website and download the relevant page for the Boer War period.

In 1904 he was involved in a court case with one Frederick Gibson Manning - you would have to pull the SA Archive file for further details.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rory

Volunteer Regiments 11 years 5 months ago #11440

• Rory
Aha! The Error of Parallax creeps in..

My mistake it should be OFS if you have been looking at the 4 rolls iro Hulton.

Regards

Rory

Volunteer Regiments 11 years 5 months ago #11441

• Frank Kelley
I'm rather confused, this man his five enteries in WO100, three QSA and two KSA, but a Transvaal clasp? WO100/126 page 85, WO100/276 page 5 and WO100/299 page 175 am I missing something?

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Rory,
Where does the Transvaal clasp come from?
Regards Frank

Rory wrote: Hi Kevin

Hope this helps

Regards

Rory

Volunteer Regiments 11 years 5 months ago #11447

• Rory
I have already said it was my mistake apropos the clasp..

Volunteer Regiments 11 years 5 months ago #11448

• Frank Kelley
LOL, I think we were both typing at more or less the same moment, would be very good if this man had a Transvaal clasp, but, still a really good pair of medals!

Rory wrote: I have already said it was my mistake apropos the clasp..

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds