• Page:

TOPIC:

Correcting a name 8 years 2 months ago #44623

• glenby
  • glenby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My grandfather appears as Joseph Brown in the mounted infantry records yet his surname is BYROM as correctly reflected in his boer war medal with five clasps that also gives his force number as 5666. How could this be corrected?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Correcting a name 8 years 2 months ago #44625

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Glenby
I don't think it can at this remove! Sometimes errors in naming just happened and sometimes the man concerned had the medal(s) returned for correction and sometimes not. A gentle suggestion: if you are satisfied that the two entries are for the same person - then why think about "correcting" anything?
Regards
IL.

Correcting a name 6 years 4 months ago #56377

• glenby
  • glenby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
long time later, but i think it important to correct the name of my grandfather joseph byrom ....not brown. after the boer was my grandfather trekked to the then rhodesia and set up a farm in marula, outside bulawayo in matabeleland. my father was born there in 1910. In 1914 my grandfather simplyt disappeared one day and nefer returned, leaving wife, six children on the farm. to this day we cannot dterect what happened to him though some think he returned to england to fight in ww2. no records anywhere. therefore probably important to get his name right in records wherever possible. his thorneycroft's number, as a pte, was 5666 and unit ID 541. a total mystery.

Correcting a name 6 years 4 months ago #56378

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Glenby,

You're right that the correct name should be recorded so I have changed his record on this site just now.

Sorry it took so long.

It is interesting that the surname on the medal is correct when the official records are incorrect. Has the surname been changed in any way on the medal?
Dr David Biggins

Correcting a name 6 years 4 months ago #56386

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Glenby
The QSA medal roll for Thorneycroft's MI shows "5666 Private Brown, Joseph"; medal with clasps OFS/TV/TH/RofL/LNek, issued 19/1/02.
Droogleever, in "Thorneycroft's Unbuttoned" shows him as him as serving with E Coy., 8/1/00 to 24/11/00. Came from Rhyll, North Wales. Subsequent service with Pietersburg LH.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Correcting a name 6 years 4 months ago #56392

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think regarding corrections, the book quoted certainly needs at least one, Ryhll, is certainly not in North Wales, it is rather further away!

LinneyI wrote: Glenby
The QSA medal roll for Thorneycroft's MI shows "5666 Private Brown, Joseph"; medal with clasps OFS/TV/TH/RofL/LNek, issued 19/1/02.
Droogleever, in "Thorneycroft's Unbuttoned" shows him as him as serving with E Coy., 8/1/00 to 24/11/00. Came from Rhyll, North Wales. Subsequent service with Pietersburg LH.
Regards
IL.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds