TOPIC:

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49418

• Mark
  • Mark's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Can some one please help me.
I have been tracing a Stephen Francois Cherritt who was an orderly in the Imperial Hospital Corps. The Nominal Roll Image 2 for this unit shows he was I believe in Durban 5.4.00 and shown as dis 28.11.00 reduction of unit.
I am not goo on military history etc. Was the Imperial Hospital Corps a military unit. What happened to the men in a "Reduction of Unit" . How does one find how they either returned to the UK , stayed in South Africa, or transferred elsewhere?
Any help would be gratefully received.
Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49429

• Adrian123456
  • Thank you received: 241
Hi Mark

A Stephen Francois Cherrett was born in England in 1855.
Since the name Cherrett/Cherritt is very uncommon , I think this may be him.

Then the SA National Archives have this entry below for `Cherrett (none for Cherritt ), note initials appear to be SJ and not SF, but an F is often mistaken for a J when handwritten.

So perhaps your man was born in England in 1855, a bookbinder by profession. He may have remained in South Africa.

I will look further.

Regards

Adrian

DEPOT TAB
SOURCE CS
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 22
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 2730/01
PART 1
DESCRIPTION GOVT PRINTING AND STATIONERY DEPT. REQUESTING AUTHORITY TO EMPLOY SJ
CHERRETT AS BOOKBINDER IN PLACE OF R IVERY, ALSO FOR EMPLOYMENT OF
A FINISHER.
STARTING 1901
ENDING 1901
REMARKS NEXT SUBSEQUENT PAPER 3165/01.

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49437

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Mark

During the early months of the Boer War and the costly battles fought in Natal it became clear that the medical support provided for the Imperial forces was inadequate, so additional staff was enlisted locally. One example is the Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps (NVAC), which made a major contribution to evacuating casualties from the battlefields. Also in short supply were hospital orderlies. In order to deal with the haphazard local recruitments of additional staff, the Imperial Bearer Corps (IBC) and Imperial Hospital Corps (IHC) were raised early in 1900.

Most of the recruitment in the IHC took place in Maritzburg and Durban during April,and May 1900. The last set-piece battles, which had resulted in so many casualties, took place later in 1900, after which the guerrilla phase of the war began. Battle casualties were fewer in number and the actions that occurred were more widespread, so the need for both the IBC and IHC declined. This led to the "Reduction of Unit" that you referred to.

Regards
Brett

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49446

• Mark
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Adrian Thank you so very much for your help.
Stephen Francois Cherritt(Cherrett) was born in Bishop Auckland. By the age of 26 (1881 Census) he was a printer. His father was a printer and stationer. There does not appear to be any information on him returning to the UK- no record of him dying here. He had married and Fanny Call but it seems he abandoned her between 1881 Census and appearing in South Africa in the Imperial Hospital Corps. I can only assume he stayed in South Africa. the position of a Book Binder i the South African Government appears to be a good possibly.
Should you come across any other information I would be most grateful.
Thank you once again.
Best Wishes
Mark.

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49447

• Mark
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Brett, Thank you for the information its a great help.
You mention that
"Most of the recruitment in the IHC took place in Maritzburg and Durban during April,and May 1900."
Were these men who recruited taken from other units, were they recruited from the public?
I am trying to establish if Stephen Cherritt was recruited in England or South Africa.

The last time he showed up in England was on the 1881 Census aged 26, occupation a printer. Then he disappears leaving a wife in England,reappearing in the Imperial Hospital Corps. The Nominal Roll 2 as mentioned previously shows him as noted "Reduction in Unit" - he does not appear to have returned to England as no further records of him.
Can only assume he stayed in South Africa as Adrian suggested possibly obtaining employment for the South African Government as a Bookbinder.

Have you any ideas what the men did when the Reduction in Unit was applied?

Once again very many thanks for your kind assistance.
Mark

Imperial Hospital Corps 7 years 4 months ago #49448

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Mark

The information about the previous service of a recruit is sometimes given on the nominal roll. For example, he might have come from the NVAC. On the nominal roll on this site there is no such note next to Cherritt's name. However, on the same line on the mostly excised facing page the number 12958 appears. This could be a number from another unit indicating previous military service.

The only other Cherritt listed on the Register of the Boer War ( www.casus-belli.co.uk/ ) has another initial, and I have no other suggestion that might help.

Also, I cannot suggest what Cherritt might have done after he left the IHC.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds