Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Imperial Hospital Corps 1 day 3 hours ago #97376

• azyeoman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 348
I've been acquiring medals to men and women who served in the medical field during the ABW. I recently came across the following medal to an orderly in the Imperial Hospital Corps, and the recipient has an interesting story.

QSA with two clasps: SA 1901, SA 1902, Officially impressed: “Orderly W.C. McPherson Imp: Hpl: Corps.”

Orderly William Cram McPherson, Imperial Hospital Corps signed up on 11 July 1901 and was discharged at the end of his 6-month contract on 24 January 1902.

William Cram McPherson was born in Scotland during 1883. He was an Iron Plater and was 18 years 1 month old when he first enlisted into the Imperial Hospital Corps at Maritzburg on 11 July 1901.
However, further research shows that he was actually 16 years old, as later records show his birthday on 8 June 1885, so his age was accurate regarding months apparently lied and said he was 18 in order to enlist in the war. It is unclear why a 16-year-old was in South Africa in the middle of the war. He later joined the Merchant Navy and landed at New York City in 1904. He appears to have left home at 16 to make his own life.

His QSA and two date clasps are confirmed on the medal roll, and it is rather unusual to see a full entitlement of just the two date clasps. It took longer than usual to issue medals to the Imperial Hospital Corp as the roll was compiled in Cape Town on 8 February 1905. McPherson could not be located, which was noted on the roll, which also indicates that his medals were returned “Medal and 2 clasps not issued 12/4/07, no address.” However, someone managed to track down his father at least 13 years later. and the roll indicates that his “Medal and 2 clasps issued 24-10-18 to Father Mr J. McPherson, 21 Afton Place, Calder Street, Motherwell.” This information may have come from his unit enlistment records when he served as a steward in the Merchant Navy and served on the Philadelphia, when he wrote, "my last foreign residence was Motherwell, Scotland, I am not married". He also immigrated to the USA and wrote, "It is my bona fide intention to renounce forever all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, and particularly to King George V, King of Great Britain and Ireland of whom I am now a subject. I arrived at the Port of New York in the State of NY on or about April 1904. I am not an anarchist, I am not a polygamist nor a believer in the practice of polygamy, and it is my intention in good faith to become a citizen of the United States of America and to permanently reside therein, so help me God.” McPherson signed his declaration at the Officer of the Clerk of New York City on 12th November 1917. There is also a WW1 Draft Card for the US Army while living at 25 South Street, New York City during WW1. He was staying at the Seamen's Church Institute of New York and New Jersey, which is an American maritime nonprofit organization that serves mariners and seafarers through chaplaincy, crisis response, training, feasibility studies, legal advocacy, and maritime policy. It was founded in Lower Manhattan in 1834, and is affiliated with the Episcopal Church. See photos below of the building and some of the interior rooms. Seamen's_Church_Institute_of_New_York_building_at_25_South_Street_c_1934

In 1917, he was a waiter serving on board the Limon and sailed from Havana Cuba on 12 October to Boston, Massachusetts where he was paid off. He apparently remained in The States as he petitioned the courts to secure his citizenship in 1922, when he wrote, "I hereby declare, an oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate state and particularly to GEORGE V KING OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND of whom I have heretofore been a subject; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; and that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.” Then, upon taking the Oath of Allegiance he was “admitted to become a citizen of the United States of America on 5th June 1922”

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Neville_C, Sturgy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial Hospital Corps 16 hours 46 minutes ago #97378

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4795
azyeoman,

That is a fascinating biography support by excellent photographs. Many thanks

David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Imperial Hospital Corps 16 hours 41 minutes ago #97379

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4795
Here is his attestation in case you do not have a copy.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Imperial Hospital Corps 11 hours 32 minutes ago #97387

• azyeoman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 348
Thank you very much! I didn’t have a copy and that’s a great help! :)

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.861 seconds