Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4744

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi Paul

I agree with Frank.....

I have gotten to the point that I cannot afford the medals that I would really like to add to my collection..... Has anyone got a Boer War VC very very cheap.....????

So to offset that I have been buying books, more books and the occasional book and other smalls.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4745

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Lord Ashcroft perhaps? :evil:

QSAMIKE wrote:
Has anyone got a Boer War VC very very cheap.....????

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4753

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Mike,
I am quite amazed how much literature there is on the subject.
I have been lucky enough to pick up most of my books at bargain prices, although it seems the "quality" works I desire are premium prices.

Paul

QSAMIKE wrote: Hi Paul

I agree with Frank.....

I have gotten to the point that I cannot afford the medals that I would really like to add to my collection..... Has anyone got a Boer War VC very very cheap.....????

So to offset that I have been buying books, more books and the occasional book and other smalls.....

Mike

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4754

• coldstream
Frank

Thats a good call, I am sure he might have one :woohoo:
Paul

Frank Kelley wrote: Lord Ashcroft perhaps? :evil:

QSAMIKE wrote:
Has anyone got a Boer War VC very very cheap.....????

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 7 months ago #4851

• coldstream
I had the pleasure to have a good chat with David Humpry yesterday author of the book "Seige"
Here is a brief synopsis of the book.
Manchester 1976. The oldest living Victoria Cross holder, and the last survivor of three friends who went to do their duty for Queen and country in the Boer War, collapses at a Remembrance Sunday service. A young newspaper reporter is assigned to cover the story and, as a result, is treated to a unique first-hand insight into life before and during the siege of Ladysmith, in a long forgotten war fought over three quarters of a century earlier.
He had a copy with him which I bought and of course got him to sign.
I am currently reading "Baden-Powell" by Tim Jeal which I am enjoying but it is a huge book! it seems likely I may put that one on hold and start on the "Seige"
Just wondered has anyone on the forum read it and if so your reviews.

Paul :)

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 7 months ago #4885

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35

coldstream wrote: New book aquired last Sunday, just wonder if anyone has read it and can offer a review.
Ladysmith by Ruari Chisholm first published in 1979 by Osprey Publishing.
Started reading last night and it seems a good book.

Paul

Hi Paul,

did you finish the above book and would you recommend it as there is a copy available?

thanks,

Iain

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds