Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4922

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Iain
And no QSA's (the cornerstone of my medal collection); also fewer battlefields in Natal to stir the interests of a boy (me). "It is an ill wind ......"

Frank
The ILI does tend to be overshadowed by the ILH but, when the regiment was given a chance (Spioenkop, Tugela Heights), the men proved they were equal to those of the ILH. Their comparative lack of success and short existence was down to the horse. This was a war for mounted infantry.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4924

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Frank,

as you say its an ill wind.

I wonder why the ILI wasn't converted to mounted infantry instead of being disbanded?

Iain

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4925

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Iain,
You have changed your avatar, while I like both, I did like your prior ILH 1902-07 Transvaal Volunteers badge!
I have always found the ILI much harder to find than the ILH, both medals and badges, but, I suppose that is not so surprising given the date of disbandment in the case of the ILI.
I had a shock whilst researching the ILI at Kew, it seems that Col Nash was having problems paying his boys the usual five shillings a day! :(
Very best regards Frank

Attachments:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4926

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
Agreed, but I still think the ILI did well in Natal and they were in effect, disbanded a full year before the ILH.
Still, it does make it interesting for us collectors!
Frank

Brett Hendey wrote:
Frank
The ILI does tend to be overshadowed by the ILH but, when the regiment was given a chance (Spioenkop, Tugela Heights), the men proved they were equal to those of the ILH. Their comparative lack of success and short existence was down to the horse. This was a war for mounted infantry.

Regards
Brett

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4929

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Frank,

I changed my avatar as I thought it would be more colourful. Strangely the old one still shows on my screen! :unsure:
You mention that the ILH were disbanded? According to my references there was continuity although they did become volunteers.
I picked up a couple of ILH Slouch hat badges the other day and I'm so pleased! :cheer:
I know of an ILI title for sale but I'm not convinced of ite authenticity.
Maybe Colonel Nash chose to disband the ILI if he was battling to pay his men.
Best regards,
Iain

Frank Kelley wrote: Iain,
You have changed your avatar, while I like both, I did like your prior ILH 1902-07 Transvaal Volunteers badge!
I have always found the ILI much harder to find than the ILH, both medals and badges, but, I suppose that is not so surprising given the date of disbandment in the case of the ILI.
I had a shock whilst researching the ILI at Kew, it seems that Col Nash was having problems paying his boys the usual five shillings a day! :(
Very best regards Frank

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4931

• Frank Kelley
Hello Iain,
From memory, both ILH regts were disbanded on the 7th July 1902 at Johannesburg, with the wholesale discharges starting to be made the month before "by order OC" etc, these men were not time expired and had only joined well into 1902.
There were however, some odd men who were not discharged until October of that year, but still before the Tranvaal Volunteer Regt that bears their name came into being.
Please tell me, tell us, more about your newly acquired ILH badges. :)
Kind regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.961 seconds