Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4967

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Iain

I paid R600 for my copy of Gibson's book about 10 years ago, but it has been a great investment and it has given me far more enjoyment than other, more expensive purchases. If you have an interest in the ILH during the Boer War, this book is a necessity.

Regards
Bret

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4969

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Brett,

sorry I meant to mention that you had recommended the book. Thanks for the further sanction and the next copy that is available I will grab!!! Looks like a case of biting the bullet! :ohmy:
And yes, I have a huge interest in the ILH.

regards,
Iain

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4970

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
While on the subject of books and the ILH, another of my 'treasures' is the following book of photographs:

Uitlanders and Colonists who Fought for the Flag, 1899, 1900. A Series of 110 First-Class Collotype Photographs, illustrating life with the Imperial Light Horse and other South African Volunteer Regiments.
By Horace W. Nicholls, The Goch Studio, Pritchard Street, Johannesburg.

A few of the photographs are shown below. I have a QSA named to a Trooper Wilson, so I like to believe he is the Wilson shown in the photograph. I am certain that he was the Tpr "Ginger" Wilson, who carried Sgt Laing to Ladysmith after the Battle of Wagon Hill.

Brett

Attachments:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4971

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
It looks like a nice book to have; these old photos are fascinating and to have the QSA to the Trooper in the photo is really something.
I would also like to build a collection around individuals like that; it makes it so much more interesting and brings you closer.
A friend of mine has a fabulous collection but based on WWI rather than the ABW with plenty of individuals with their full history, medals and other items of relevance.

Iain

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4973

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Iain,
You must get a copy of Gibson's book, they are around at a price :( and it is possible to build up a very nice collection of Imperial Light Horse if you are willing to go past 1902.
You can still find good trio's for GSWA named to both the 5th Mounted Rifles and 2nd Imperial Light Horse for very little money compared to the cost of many of their QSA's.
Regards Frank

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4974

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Brett,
Horrace Nicholls was one of the first true photojournalists! :woohoo:
Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.639 seconds