Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20344

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Paul, I like that view of Estcourt! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20346

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
The falls is all I remember of Howick, from a Cadet camp way back in the 80's. And being told not to jump off the falls, and if we did to make sure we kept our legs closed and to jump out far enough so gravity doesn't pull us into the cliff!

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20348

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Paul

Many thanks for sharing the photos of Natal in "the good old days". Howick and Estcourt are very different today! Since many of my waking thoughts have to do with people who lived in Natal in late Victorian and Edwardian times, the postcard pictures are as I prefer to visualise the ex-Colony.

The photo of the Howick Falls was taken when the river was in flood. In more arid times it is much easier for jumpers to hit the rock face on the way down, which is what Ryan was warned about. The Falls are a popular tourist attraction. I suspect that in addition to the Falls themselves, visitors keep a sharp eye on the women from the adjacent squatter camp who do their laundry in the pool near the lip of the Falls. They have more reasons than most to contemplate suicide, but, as far as I know, it is only suicidal people from further afield who make use of this facility.

Regards
Brett

PS I think I am responsible for taking this thread 'off-topic'. My apologies!

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20354

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Thanks Frank

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Paul, I like that view of Estcourt! :)

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20355

• coldstream
Sounds a little hair raising Ryan :blink:

rdarby wrote: The falls is all I remember of Howick, from a Cadet camp way back in the 80's. And being told not to jump off the falls, and if we did to make sure we kept our legs closed and to jump out far enough so gravity doesn't pull us into the cliff!

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20356

• coldstream
Hello Brett,

Pleased you enjoyed them and thank you for the extra info ;)
Brett is not so unusual for threads to go "off topic" I always think it makes them more interesting :)

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

Many thanks for sharing the photos of Natal in "the good old days". Howick and Estcourt are very different today! Since many of my waking thoughts have to do with people who lived in Natal in late Victorian and Edwardian times, the postcard pictures are as I prefer to visualise the ex-Colony.

The photo of the Howick Falls was taken when the river was in flood. In more arid times it is much easier for jumpers to hit the rock face on the way down, which is what Ryan was warned about. The Falls are a popular tourist attraction. I suspect that in addition to the Falls themselves, visitors keep a sharp eye on the women from the adjacent squatter camp who do their laundry in the pool near the lip of the Falls. They have more reasons than most to contemplate suicide, but, as far as I know, it is only suicidal people from further afield who make use of this facility.

Regards
Brett

PS I think I am responsible for taking this thread 'off-topic'. My apologies!

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds