Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20316

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
I wonder what Colonel Chisholme made of Howick in Natal, which he passed through on his way to meet his fate at Elandslaagte? I doubt that he was impressed.

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20322

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Meurig,

Thank you for adding this information

Paul :)

SWB wrote: I've been! (In 1997 and yes my pictures are on slide film.)

On the memorial between the soldier's legs is a machine gun - I think the first depiction of a machine gun a British war memorial. A pair of canon at the base of the memorial (one is visible) were not there when I visited.

The Chisholme family lived at Stirches in Hawick, he was the last Chisholme inhabitant. It is now St Andrew's Convent.

Regards
Meurig

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20323

• coldstream
Hello Brett,

I would of thought if was much different to his home town.

Brett Hendey wrote: I wonder what Colonel Chisholme made of Howick in Natal, which he passed through on his way to meet his fate at Elandslaagte? I doubt that he was impressed.

Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20324

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Paul

The only significant attraction in Howick, Natal, then and now, is the Howick Falls, a 95 metre high waterfall on the Umgeni River. The men of the Imperial Light Horse would not have left the railway station when their train stopped in Howick, since the Boers rather than the Howick Falls demanded their attention.

There is a record of an ILH train stopping at the station that precedes Howick, namely, Hilton Road. In his diary, Trooper Fred Freshney, 'A' Squadron, ILH, recorded that their train was met at Hilton Road by the wife and daughter of their squadron commander, Captain Doveton. Freshney wrote that:
"Before leaving, Miss Doveton gave Trooper Nelson a small 'Union Jack'. He promised to take it through the campaign, and then return it to her. If he were spared to do so I cannot say, but he always carried it with him, no matter where he went."

Miss Doveton was soon to loose her father, who died of wounds after the Battle of Wagon Hill, and her fiancé, a Lieutenant in Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry, who was killed during the Battle of Spioenkop. Both Nelson and Freshney were wounded during the Battle of Colenso. Freshney had a crippling wound that ended his life prematurely a few years after the war. Trooper Nelson left the ILH early in 1901 and no record has been found of the fate of Miss Doveton's 'Union Jack'' or, indeed, of the grieving Miss Doveton herself.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20326

• coldstream
Hello Brett,

Thank you as always for sharing your knowledge with us, a sad story indeed.
I am sure I have a postcard somewhere showing the Howick Falls, will post on this thread if I find it.

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

The only significant attraction in Howick, Natal, then and now, is the Howick Falls, a 95 metre high waterfall on the Umgeni River. The men of the Imperial Light Horse would not have left the railway station when their train stopped in Howick, since the Boers rather than the Howick Falls demanded their attention.

There is a record of an ILH train stopping at the station that precedes Howick, namely, Hilton Road. In his diary, Trooper Fred Freshney, 'A' Squadron, ILH, recorded that their train was met at Hilton Road by the wife and daughter of their squadron commander, Captain Doveton. Freshney wrote that:
"Before leaving, Miss Doveton gave Trooper Nelson a small 'Union Jack'. He promised to take it through the campaign, and then return it to her. If he were spared to do so I cannot say, but he always carried it with him, no matter where he went."

Miss Doveton was soon to loose her father, who died of wounds after the Battle of Wagon Hill, and her fiancé, a Lieutenant in Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry, who was killed during the Battle of Spioenkop. Both Nelson and Freshney were wounded during the Battle of Colenso. Freshney had a crippling wound that ended his life prematurely a few years after the war. Trooper Nelson left the ILH early in 1901 and no record has been found of the fate of Miss Doveton's 'Union Jack'' or, indeed, of the grieving Miss Doveton herself.

Regards
Brett

Hawick Memorial 9 years 11 months ago #20329

• coldstream
Hello Brett,

Found some postcards in my collection for your viewing ;)

coldstream wrote: Hello Brett,

Thank you as always for sharing your knowledge with us, a sad story indeed.
I am sure I have a postcard somewhere showing the Howick Falls, will post on this thread if I find it.

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.895 seconds