Sherwood Foresters 8 years 11 months ago #41217

• bucknobs
  • bucknobs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0

Sorry below is the letter
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 11 months ago #41219

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Thanks Mike, for a brief moment I'd thought I'd consumed rather too much Pol Roger!
An absolutely superb trio too!

QSAMIKE wrote: Here You Go......

Mike

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 10 months ago #41225

• OLD STUBBORN
  • Thank you received: 8
The letter is very interesting reading being written with regards to the battle for the Dargai Heights, Spick he was Pte 3392 of 'D' Coy as was 579 Keeling, both received the DCM but 2951 Cooper and your relative were not recognised with this medal. Would it be possible for me to keep a copy of this letter to place in our archives in the museum for our records, look forward to your reply.
Spick, Served with 2nd Btn and served in Tirah Campaign of 1897-98 with "D" Company, recommended for V.C. and awarded the D.C.M. awarded For distinguished conduct in the field during operations at Dargai 20th October 1897, severely wounded by gunshot which fractured Scapula same date.
The official submission made by Brigadier-General Hart, V.C., R.E., to the Assistant Adjutant-General, 1st Division, Tirah Expeditionary Force, on 7 December 1897. ‘Sir, I have the honour to request you will forward, for the favourable consideration of the General Officer Commanding Tirah Expeditionary Force, the attached documents which I have collected regarding the gallant conduct of the following soldiers at the storming of Dargai on 20 October 1897. Captain W. E. G. Smith , 2nd Battalion, Derbyshire Regiment (killed) Lieutenant H. S. Pennell, 2nd Battalion, Derbyshire Regiment. No. 579 Colour-Sergeant J. Keeling, 2nd Battalion, Derbyshire Regiment (severely wounded)
No. 4755 Private George John Dunn, 2nd Battalion, Derbyshire Regiment (killed) No. 2732 Private Richard Ponberth, 2nd Battalion, Derbyshire Regiment (mortally wounded) No.1701 Private J. Anthony, 2nd Battalion, Derbyshire Regiment (severely wounded) No. 3392 Private J. Spick, 2nd Battalion, Derbyshire Regiment (severely wounded). On the 20 October 1897, Captain W. E. G. Smith’s company of the 2nd Battalion, Derbyshire Regiment, was ordered to attack the heights at Dargai. The 1st Battalion, 2nd Gurkha Rifles and 1st Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment had already been unsuccessful in their attack, and were under cover blocking the way to the hundred yards of open space that had to be crossed. Captain Smith ordered his company to charge, and started forward before his men could get through the companies in front of them. Lieutenant Pennell, Colour-Sergeant Keeling, Privates Spick, Dunn and Ponberth, forced their way through the men in front, and followed the gallant leading of their Captain who fell dead after he had gone about sixty yards.
If you need more information regarding this action please let me know. Mel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bucknobs

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 10 months ago #41232

• bucknobs
  • bucknobs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Mel,
Of course you may keep a copy to place in your museum archives. Which museum may I ask do you refer to? Also how do I preserve this letter? Is there a way? At the moment all the pieces are piled on top of each other and placed for safe keeping in an envelope.
If possible Mel yes I would like more info on the above "battle for Dargai Heights" which my Grandfather was involved in. (sorry that we have just wondered off the Boer war topic).

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 10 months ago #41236

• OLD STUBBORN
  • Thank you received: 8
Our museum is the Sherwood Foresters Museum in Nottingham and our collection is housed within Nottingham Castle and displays the history of the Regiment from its earliest beginnings to the present day. The office is based at Chilwell Depot (Chetwynd Barracks) but is not open to the public as it is MOD property. Probably the best way to preserve your type of document is in a anti acid sleeve keeping it flat and separate from all other documents at all times and of course away from light.
I will get back to you with regards to your grandfather in about a week or so time. ;) Mel.

Sherwood Foresters 8 years 10 months ago #41238

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Old Stubborn
I visited the Sherwood Foresters Museum in Nottingham Castle back in1983. I was very impressed with the display; the array of medals and groups was really great. The location of the museum was also most impressive. Later this day (my time), I will pm you about a SF pair in my collection.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OLD STUBBORN

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.595 seconds