Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

3rd Battalion Royal Lancasters actions in the 2nd Boer War 8 years 8 months ago #42691

• Steadman
  • Steadman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
This is my first post on this WEBsite (Roger Steadman)
I am trying to find out what my grandfather (Joseph Hazeldine) was involved in, in the 2nd Boer War. I have his army reccords which tell me:
- joined 12/4/1888 Ardwick, Manchester (No: 1784). He was 18 yrs 6 mths
- seemed to rejoin 31/5/1888, Lancaster (No: 2450 -B), definitely 12/13 yr service contract and definitely same person as above
- India (12/10/91 - 24/2/96)
- transferred to army reserve 29/11/1896
- recalled to Kings Own (looks like 2nd battalion) 11/11/1899
- S Africa (2/12/99 - 6/7/1900) - looks like with 2nd batallion (narrative is unreadable "Service....der Spcl?) but also see below
- eventually discharges (30/5/1901) - 1st batallion possibly to special reserve as he rejoins 13/1/1913 and then gets posted 16/6/14 to France where he remains until 9/7/1916, he returns for a good deal of 1917.
I AM WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME DISENTANGLE WHAT ACTIONS HE MIGHT HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN WHILST IN SOUTH AFRICA FROM THE ABOVE. CAN ANYONE HELP?? Thanks
I have a history bought from the Kings Own Museum in Lancaster written by Col J M Cowper
Roger Steadman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3rd Battalion Royal Lancasters actions in the 2nd Boer War 8 years 8 months ago #42703

• Mark Abbott
  • Thank you received: 5
Roger

Your grandfather is entitled to a Queen's South Africa medal with bars "Tugela Heights" and Relief of Ladysmith". According to the medal roll, he was invalided home. He would have been involved in the fighting on Natal up to and including the relief of Ladysmith.

www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...l-lancaster-regiment

I know the Lancaster and Preston newspapers contain a great deal of information on the regiment's activities in South Africa.

I hope this helps.

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steadman

3rd Battalion Royal Lancasters actions in the 2nd Boer War 8 years 8 months ago #42713

• Steadman
  • Steadman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Mark
Can you point me at the medal roll where invaliding home is referenced.
Thanks

Roger

3rd Battalion Royal Lancasters actions in the 2nd Boer War 8 years 8 months ago #42714

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2307

Mark Abbott wrote: I know the Lancaster and Preston newspapers contain a great deal of information on the regiment's activities in South Africa.
Mark

Unfortunately, the microfilm reel for the Lancaster Guardian, 1900, is missing from Lancaster Library. I'll check the last couple of months of 1899 when I get the chance, Roger.

3rd Battalion Royal Lancasters actions in the 2nd Boer War 8 years 8 months ago #42715

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The number of times similar has happened to me, very annoying indeed. :(

3rd Battalion Royal Lancasters actions in the 2nd Boer War 8 years 8 months ago #42718

• Mark Abbott
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Roger,

The rolls are available on Ancestry.

Regards

Mark

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.891 seconds