Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Tips for researching a soldier by name 7 years 10 months ago #47375

• Butlin1983
  • Butlin1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I have joined this site on the off chance of finding an ancestor who I think served in the 2nd boer war. I have two obituary cut outs that suggest he did. Is it possible to find out any information with just his name and if so what information is available

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tips for researching a soldier by name 7 years 10 months ago #47376

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884
Good Day......

If you can tell us the name we can try...... Unless the name is very common, Jim Jones, Albert Smith etc......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Tips for researching a soldier by name 7 years 10 months ago #47377

• Butlin1983
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hello Mike Iv found the surname search but unfortunately surname not found. I really don't have much to go by. Walter Isaac marlow b1878 Northamptonshire. Can only find his his ww1 enlistment on find my past and ancestry

Tips for researching a soldier by name 7 years 10 months ago #47378

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would normally go with the answer to question number four in WO363, however, in this particular case, in my opinion, on the balance of probability, if you are sure about this mans identity, given the lack of biographical detail in WO363, I would say he was also Gunner Walter Marlow of the RFA, who did serve, very briefly during the Anglo Boer War, on Home Service only.
Both the age and the physical descriptions are very similar, if you know beyond any doubt whatsoever, his parents identity, I'd certainly go with WO97.
Interesting character, I dare say the Army were rather relieved by his discharge.

Tips for researching a soldier by name 7 years 10 months ago #47380

• Butlin1983
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you frank, Walter marlow is my 2nd great grandfather born in Rothwell Northamptonshire his parents Daniel and Sarah marlow. I have to say this sounds like my man as I have read he was quite a character also had a hint about him serving in the Royal field artillery Unfortunately I do not understand the number references that you used. How do I go about viewing this info or better still finding out more? Keen to find out what he did to be thrown out

Many thanks Paul

Tips for researching a soldier by name 7 years 10 months ago #47381

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1884

Butlin1983 wrote: Hello Mike Iv found the surname search but unfortunately surname not found. I really don't have much to go by. Walter Isaac marlow b1878 Northamptonshire. Can only find his his ww1 enlistment on find my past and ancestry

On his form 2505 it states previous military service in 2/4th Northamptonshire Regiment but no dates...... Also it is interesting that he was discharged due to epilepsy and being unfit for service......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.784 seconds