Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Frederick Hilton 3rd Btn Royal Garrison Regt Bloemfontein 6 years 5 months ago #56554

• millsi
  • millsi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello,

I recently received a box of old family photos and contained within was an original letter from South Africa dated March 1905 relating to one of my 3rd great uncles, namely a Frederick Hilton who served with the 3rd Battalion Royal Garrison Regiment and was stationed at Tempe Barracks, Bloemfontein.

The letter was written by a Wesleyan Minister and addressed to Frederick’s sister. It stated that Frederick had been “shot by a comrade” and went on to express sympathies and that he had been buried in the Military Cemetery there. It was written in haste and said that further details would follow but I don’t know anything else about this incident. I’d like to think it was accident but am curious to find out if it was anything more sinister. I’ve visited the National Archives searching the 3rd Battalion’s records but couldn’t find anything there. Similarly the various genealogy websites.

Hence, I was wondering if anybody here had any suggestions as to where I might be able to go to find out some further information?

Private Frederick Hilton #2186
Birth Place: Derby
Regiment: 3rd Royal Garrison Regiment
Death Date: 27 Feb 1905
Death Place: Bloemfontein

Thanks in advance,
Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frederick Hilton 3rd Btn Royal Garrison Regt Bloemfontein 3 years 1 month ago #75314

• ChrisE
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Iain
I don't know if you are still a visitor to this Forum but I only came across this post last night and have only just realised how long ago
it was that you posted it.
I too am researching Frederick Hilton and wondered if you had got any further in finding out the full circumstances of his death.
If you pick this up it would be great to hear from you.
Regards
Chris

Frederick Hilton 3rd Btn Royal Garrison Regt Bloemfontein 3 years 1 month ago #75323

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
I did a quick check for service papers but, as expected, there were none extant as they were routinely destroyed in cases such as this.
Dr David Biggins

Frederick Hilton 3rd Btn Royal Garrison Regt Bloemfontein 3 years 1 month ago #75325

• ChrisE
Hi - Many thanks for responding - much appreciated. In actual fact I have found (via a friend who has access to Find My Past) that there are three sets of papers for Frederick Hilton. The first relate to his initial enlistment in 1883. Then there are a set which cover his transfer to the Army Reserve and lastly those which deal with his enlistment into the Royal Garrison Regiment.
The curious entry in this last set is that which simply states - Died at Bloemfontein 27.2.05. - and - Gunshot wound inflicted by Pte Fears.
Given the nature of his death you might have expected either a court martial or at least an enquiry into the circumstances. I am sure I have identified Private Fears too but on his papers there is no mention even of the death of Frederick Hilton.
The newspaper archives have not helped. Not sure if it might have been reported in the South African press and even if it were, how to find that out.

Frederick Hilton 3rd Btn Royal Garrison Regt Bloemfontein 3 years 1 month ago #75329

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi Chris.
You probably have this information but thought I would post just in case you haven't. It is possible he was shot by accident and it may have been reported in a SA paper. If so, I'm sure fellow forum members residing in SA may be able to help guide you to a relevant archive if available.

641 Pte F Hilton 2nd Bn Derby R

Frederick Hilton was born in the Parish of St Peter’s, Derby a 19 year old Labourer, he attested for the Derbyshire Regiment at Derby 10th September 1883. Posted to the 1st Battalion 3rd October 1883 and to the 2nd Battalion 15th October 1885, he served in India from 15th December 1885 to 10th February 1891. Discharged to the Army Reserve 22nd February 1891 and from the Reserve 9th September 1895. Re-enlisting for the Army Reserve 11th April 1896, he was re-called to the Colours and posted 1st Battalion Derbyshire Regiment 17th March 1900 and served in South Africa 17th March 1900 to 3rd March 1901 (QSA with 5 clasps).

Re-enlisting at Derby for the Royal Garrison Regiment (No 2186) 20th May 1901, he joined the 3rd Battalion 10th June 1901 and served in Malta 20th September 1901 to 20th April 1904 and in South Africa 21st April 1904 to 27th February 1905. He died at Bloemfontein, South Africa 27th February 1905 from a gunshot wound inflicted by Private Fears. It is not stated on his papers whether this was a deliberate act ie murder or the result of a negligent discharge.

His next of kin recorded as his younger brother George serving with the 1st Battalion Derbyshire Regiment and his father residing at 38 Struck Street, Derby.

1st Battalion Derbyshire Regiment.
QSA medal with 5 clasps.
Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, CC & OFS & 1901 clasp roll location Rustenburg 1901

Medal roll for 1901 date clasp is attributed to the 1st Battalion The Sherwood Foresters, Notts & Derbyshire. Roll location Hong Kong dated 1903.

There is another document pertaining to Private Hilton in Army register of Soldiers effects. Record number 107349. Registry number 39433. £8 pounds, 10 shillings and 3 pence left to a F John.(Probably his Father?) Along with his QSA he was also entitled to the IGS medal (1854) with clasp Sikkim 1888.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, millsi

Frederick Hilton 3rd Btn Royal Garrison Regt Bloemfontein 3 years 1 month ago #75330

• ChrisE
Morning Dave
Many thanks indeed for taking the time and trouble to respond. You are right, I already had much of the information you have posted but it is always good to have it confirmed.
Intriguingly there are service papers for his youger brother, George. He enlisted into the Derbyshire Regiment a month before Frederick and served in the same battalion. Once he had completed his service with the Derbyshires he too joined the Royal Garrison Regiment. What is surprising is that whilst Frederick earned two campaign medals, it seems George, whilst with the Derbyshire Regiment at least, never served outside of England so took part in neither the Sikkim expedition nor the Boer War. George was discharged from the Royal Garrison Regiment in September 1905 so it seems quite likely that he was also in South Africa when Frederick died. I do love a mystery but preferably one with an ending - which seems increasingly unlikely in this case. Thanks agaion. Regards. Chris

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds