Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 4 years 8 months ago #64891

• Grandrew2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 10
Hello Paul
Many thanks for posting a picture of your medal’s naming and my apologises for the delay in acknowledging. This is the first time I have seen another, and I am very pleased to note the similarity. I am also very pleased that the medal you have was effectively awarded to Sir William Grantham’s boss. This suggests to me they could have been issued at the same time/from the same batch
The other two medals that apparently have a different naming have the lettering that fills the whole edge and goes to the rim but as I have said I have not seen these I am merely quoting what I have been told. One is named to Baron Boxall, Hon Solicitor to the CIV and the other to Lionel Phillips Esq, CIV Finance Committee.
I am told the original list that was passed to the Town Clerk to issue the first batch of medals was numbered from 1 to 382 and just notes The Sheriff, Librarian, Hall Keeper, Judge of the City of London Court etc. These were then issued to a named person I.e. the current incumbent of that role. This list exists and is I believe held in the CIV archives. However, I understand that when a further 100 medals were ordered no list exists on who they were issued to other than individual notes in the various Committee minutes for specific requests for medals. We know from the CIV records 76 were engraved 53 of which were to officers but no list.
It will be very interesting to see if any members can produce any more examples of naming so we can build up a record of the varieties.

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 4 years 8 months ago #64892

• Grandrew2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Mike
Many thanks for your drawing my attention to the earlier reference to a named example. This refers to one on the Christie Boer war sale. It does not give a picture of the actual naming which is what I need so I can see how they compare.
I suspect the one issued to The Ancient and Hon Artillery of Boston could be a later issue. The original list of how the first 450 medals were issued contains 382 names. I don’t have a copy so I can’t check whether they are mentioned.
The Coachman’s livery company applied for a medal as late as 21 March 1903. The medals were widely distributed not just to City Dignitaries but as far as Australia (and Boston above) and also to places in the UK such as Hackney.
Andrew

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 4 years 6 months ago #65719

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill (1103 Pte E. C. Crick. C.I.V.);
1914-15 Star (379. Sjt. - A.- C. Sjt. E. C. Crick. 15 - London. R.);
BWM & VM with MID (379 C. Sjt. E. C. Crick. 15 - Lond. R.);
Army MSM GV (379 C. Sjt: E. C. Crick. 15/Lond: R.);
Territorial Force Efficiency Medal, Ed VII with Second Award Bar (379 Sjt: E. C. Crick. 15/(C. Of L.) B. Lon: Regt.)

MSM London Gazette 18 October 1916.
MID London Gazette 15 June 1916.

Edward C. Crick served with the City of London Imperial Volunteers during the Second Boer War. He subsequently joined the 15th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment, and was awarded the Territorial Force War Medal in January 1909. He advanced to Colour Sergeant and served during the Great War with the 1/15th (County of London) Battalion, London Regiment (Prince of Wale’s Own Civil Service Rifles) in the French theatre of war from March 1915.

Crick served as Brigade Superintending Clerk in 1916, and advanced to Acting Regimental Quarter Master Sergeant (awarded Second Award Bar to TFEM in February 1922).
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 3 years 11 months ago #68544

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 357
Here is another named presentation medallion to The Very Reverend Robert Gregory D.D. Oxon Dean of St Pauls

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 3 years 11 months ago #68546

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
A very nicely named medal, DunnBoer.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the City Imperial Volunteers 3 years 11 months ago #68568

• Grandrew2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks Dunnboer for posting the photo of the naming of Dean Gregory's CIV Tribute medal. It is in the same style as that for Lord Alverstoke and Sir William Grantham and I am convinced they are from the same batch.

I cant establish a link yet but there is a note in the Times of a Service at St Pauls to send the CIV off and that same night after the service Sir William hosted a dinner for them at the Inner Temple.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.815 seconds