TOPIC:

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94170

• Tippy
  • Tippy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
It is me yet again. I am sorry if I am a pest. Two more things:
1. Family lore says Ernest Tipler was a member of the first troops in India who were granted permission to wear shorts. Is this true and if so, when did this happen?
2. We were also told that Ernest Tipler was in the troops that met Queen Victoria's consort or Prince. Could this be true and if so when.
Thank you for your help and patience.
Hi. My grandfather fought in the Boer War with the Borderers. I have little info on him. Can you help? His name was Ernest Tipler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94171

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1227

Tippy wrote: can you help me upload a photo..I am having trouble

Attaching images
The maximum image size is 1,000 x 1,000 pixels and size less than 500Mb.

Adding the image as an attachment is the first step. Having attached the image you will see the button Insert beneath it.

Navigate in the post to where you wish to insert the image and then click on the Insert button below the image. That will add some text to your post which, once saved, will be replaced by the image.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tippy

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94172

• Tippy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
another upload try!
Is this a Borderers uniform? Surprise the photograph says Egypt...can anyone help?
Hi. My grandfather fought in the Boer War with the Borderers. I have little info on him. Can you help? His name was Ernest Tipler

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94175

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1227

Tippy wrote: It is me yet again. I am sorry if I am a pest. Two more things:
1. Family lore says Ernest Tipler was a member of the first troops in India who were granted permission to wear shorts. Is this true and if so, when did this happen?
2. We were also told that Ernest Tipler was in the troops that met Queen Victoria's consort or Prince. Could this be true and if so when.
Thank you for your help and patience.

Reference question 1.
See link
www.oldbullshorts.com/history-of-shorts#...ed%20Nepalese%20army .

I think there is a record of a British soldier who did attempt to cut his trousers into shorts during the Boer war. However, I believe he was put on a charge for destroying government property. In my humble opinion it was WW1 where the shorts were most prevelent in hotter countries. Perhaps fellow forum members may be able to clarify?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 2 weeks ago #94207

• Tippy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
My cousin had these Boer War medals of Ernest Tipler but I have been told they are not attached properly. Can you help? Thanks
Attachments:

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 2 weeks ago #94213

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 930
Hi Tippy – if you had clicked on the “insert” box the photo would have appeared in the post as well as an attachment, as below but I have cropped the unnecessary bottom part off.

The right hand medal is the WW1 British War Medal – a campaign medal.

The Boer War Medals show the obverse which is identical for the Queen’s (QSA) & King’s South Africa Medals (QSA). The new ribbons are for the QSA on the left and the KSA on the right. All the medal roll evidence available shows that 6131 E Tippler was not awarded the KSA. If you go back to the post by Dave 3 days ago you will see on the QSA medal roll he posted that it says, against 6131 E Tippler (highlighted), “No” in the column entitled “Whether also entitled to the King’s South Africa Medal” Also he is not listed on the separate KSA Medal Roll for the 2nd Battalion SWB. The medals should be engraved on the rims with the name of the recipient. Do you have a phots of the other side of the medals and the rims?

You also mentioned a photo with a reference to Egypt. When he returned from India the ship would have gone through Egypt via the Suez Canal. They may also have stopped off at Alexandria, an Egyptian Mediterranean port at the north end of the canal.

Regards, David (Smethwick)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Tippy

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds