Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94149

• Tippy
  • Tippy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My grandfather,, Ernest Tipler, fought in the Boer War...would love help in learning more about him. Thanks,
Hi. My grandfather fought in the Boer War with the Borderers. I have little info on him. Can you help? His name was Ernest Tipler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94150

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1227
Hello Tippy
Welcome to the forum.

I believe your Grandfather was born in Peterborough Northamptonshire ( Now Cambridgeshire) in 1881.
He served with the 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers during the Anglo Boer war
His regimental number was 6131. Around 5ft 5 inches tall, dark hair and complexion. A labourer by trade. Whilst in Dublin in 1900 he deserted for a while aged 19. However, he reunited with his regiment again and went on to serve in South Africa. He was awarded the Queen's South Africa medal with clasps for Transvaal, Cape Colony, Orange Free State and his 1901 1902 date clasps. After the Boer war he was transferred to the 1st battalion SWB and served in India.

He married Jane Elizabeth, and if I have the right chap? He emigrated to Canada. Where he served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during WW1.

Best wishes

Dave....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94151

• Tippy
  • Tippy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you! Any further info or info on his uniform would be appreciated....Also, can I see his medals anywhere? COuld the attached be a photo of him? Could this be enroute to Egypt?
Hi. My grandfather fought in the Boer War with the Borderers. I have little info on him. Can you help? His name was Ernest Tipler

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94152

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1227

Tippy wrote: Thank you! Any further info or info on his uniform would be appreciated....Also, can I see his medals anywhere? COuld the attached be a photo of him? Could this be enroute to Egypt?

No attached photo , you may need to upload it again.

As for his medal, I have attached a Queens South Africa example for you, pertaining to your Grandfather's entitlement. As for where his original medal resides? Perhaps it maybe with a family member? Or in a private collection.

Example of QSA.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94153

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 830
Hi Tippy,

Alot of QSAs to men of the SWB were donated to the regimental museum in Brecon. They have an impressive display of medals there.
On my next visit, I will take a look to see if your Grandfather's medals ended up in the museum.
You never know!
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Dave F

Ernest Tipler of the South Wales Borderers 6 months 3 weeks ago #94157

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 930
As Dave knows his height and that he went to India after South Africa he has obviously found both his attestation papers and his service record – if so, I am curious to know where he found them as looking in the normal places I could not. As I apparently had nothing to add to the debate I kept stum and decided to continue with unravelling the forbears of my paternal grandmother. This morning it occurred to me that I might have something to add as one of my 200+ Smethwickians served in the 2nd SWB. Looking him up his regimental number was 6119 only 12 before Ernest’s and after serving in SA, like Ernest, he was transferred to 1st SWB. However, he qualified for the Kings South Africa medal as well as a Queen's South Africa medal with the 3 state clasps.

The Unit Information on this site has the following to say about the 2nd SWB in the ABW:

“The 2nd Battalion sailed on the Bavarian about 18th January 1900, and arrived about 3rd February. Along with the 2nd Cheshire, 1st East Lancashire, and 2nd North Staffordshire, they formed the 15th Brigade under Major General A G Wavell, and part of the VIIth Division under Lieutenant General Tucker.

“In the advances to Bloemfontein and Pretoria the South Wales Borderers had never very desperate fighting.

“After De Wet had broken out of the Brandwater basin the South Wales Borderers were brought down the line to Wolvehoek, partly to protect the railway and partly to assist in the pursuit of the Boer force. In this pursuit the battalion took part, the marching being very severe.

“At the end of August 1900 the battalion was part of a column under Major General Hart which operated between Krugersdorp and Potchefstroom.

“Twelve officers and 17 non-commissioned officers and men were mentioned in Lord Roberts' final despatch.

“About 200 men of the battalion were the main part of a post at Modderfontein, in the Gatsrand, when it was attacked by a strong force at the end of January 1901. The garrison made a fine defence, but was forced to surrender before help arrived. The losses of the Borderers in the fighting about this time were 10 killed and about 40 wounded.

“Eight men were mentioned in Lord Kitchener's despatches for exceptional gallantry, one gaining the distinguished conduct medal. One officer was mentioned for good work in a convoy fight on 23rd May 1901.
“The battalion was mainly engaged in column or garrison work in the south-west of the Transvaal during the remainder of the campaign. Near its close they were stationed at Klerksdorp.

In the final despatch 3 officers and 3 non-commissioned officers were mentioned.”

“My” man attested in Worcester on 10th March 1899 – he attested in Worcester because he was already a member of the 3rd Militia Battalion of the Worcester Regiment. On the 10th March 1899 he was assigned to the SWB and reported to their barracks (which now houses the museum Steve mentioned) in Brecon. He sailed for South Africa on 22nd June 1900 meaning he went out as a draft or put another way a replacement for one of battalion members who had already been invalided home. He left South Africa for India on 28th October 1902 having completed 2 years and 4 months service in SA of which 22 months was whilst the war was in progress – to be awarded the KSA you needed to have done at least 18 months service whilst the war was in progress.

I also know he had caught up with the Battalion by January 1901 because he was taken PoW at Modderfontein and released on 31st January 1901.

As your GF did not receive the KSA I assume he went out as a later draft and his war may be summed up in the penultimate paragraph in the Unit Information given above. But if Dave has found his service record he should be able to confirm or deny this tentative conclusion.

My man returned home from India on 12 January 1907 by when he had completed 8 years of active service rather than the 7 he had originally signed up for. He was immediately transferred to the Army Reserve and fully discharged 4 years later having completed a total of 12 years service.

I won’t bore you with his Smethwick attributes.

Regards, David.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds