Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private Thomas Fullerton 38071 1 month 1 week ago #96511

• Wendydavies
  • Wendydavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi, Dave there is nothing else I can find in the letters re his regiment. The only other clue we have is a reference by Dr Graham (who ran the school they were sent to) in a book that two sisters were found and taken to the school from "Quetta Contonment". The reference in undoubtedly to the sisters as it goes on to say both became nurses and one was in NZ. So that puts the family (after the dad has gone) in Quetta Contonment in 1901 (or v close to 1901). The school is still running and has records but you have to go to the school in Kallimpong to see them, I've found someone going there next moth so we might be able to confirm the girls started at the school in 1901, aged around 5 and 7.
Norah just says he her dad was a "soldier" in the British Army, but I don't think she knew anymore than that.

Thank you,

Wendy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private Thomas Fullerton 38071 1 month 1 week ago #96542

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1228
Hello Wendy

Please keep the forum posted on your progress regarding the visit to Kallimpong. I do hope that there is some information available for you.
I have exhausted the Cheshire regiment angle unfortunately. As you mentioned in your previous post, the 1st Cheshire Battalion were stationed at Secunderbad, the 2nd Battalion at Buttavant camp in 1898.
I have had a look for other regiments stationed in India around 1898 and these are the results for the Quetta barracks time frame.

1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh's)
Mountain Artillery 2nd Battery
Garrison Artillery Southern Division 23rd Company
Western Division 25th Company

On a quick search of the above regiments there were no T Fullertons as I could see. I have tried to find information on the medical administration chap Lieutenant Colonel J C Fullerton, he was certainly in the Quetta area at the time. I have a feeling he may be linked to the mystery. One last search took me back to the JMR attestation paper where Thomas records his father as being from County Down Ireland.
I did find a J C Fullerton who served in the Donagal Artillery and arrived in Capetown on the 1st of August 1900. He was attached to the 5th Battery Royal Field Artillery, rank of Lieutenant. However, I cannot place him as ever being in India......yet.

Best wishes and keep the forum posted on your progress.

Dave.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendydavies

Fullerton 1 month 1 week ago #96590

• Wendydavies
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Dave and everyone else that has contributed too. If dreams were free I am hoping for at least a fathers first name from the school in Kalimpong. It'll be a month until that possibility could come to fruition, I will update on here, I hope this thread is still here.

I am trying not to do any further investigations until then but have come across a Reginald W F Fullarton, Boer War service number 3457, he didn't die but was taken prisoner of war at one point. The link to India is his father W F Fullarton who served in India and the North West Frontier. I know the spelling is slightly out but one letter wrong is a possibility. His father being in India doesn't put the son there unless he was there with his family for an extended period.

Anyway thank you again, will update in a month all going well.

Wendy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Fullerton 1 month 1 week ago #96595

• Dave F
Hi Wendy.

Reginald W F Fullarton served as a Sergeant in Kitcheners Horse 3457.
He was captured near De Kiels Drift in 1900. However, I believe he moved on to join the Garrison Artillery, 5th Battalion Halifax Nova Scotia.. I have attached a few snippets of information for your records.

Medal Roll Kitcheners Horse. Note surname spelling.

Garrison Artillery information.

Army list information.

Army list pertaining to 2 Fullartons. Major W F Fullarton potential father of Reginald?. Honorary Major W F Fullarton certainly had an active military career whilst in India.
Will do a little more digging and see if I can place Reg in India.

Dave....
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Fullerton 1 month 1 week ago #96596

• Dave F
Whilst looking for Reginald, I came across this information.
Sorry to add to the confusion, but maybe worth further research.

www.findagrave.com/memorial/262363425/th...iam_archer-fullerton
Link courtesy of Find a Grave.

PS. Further research suggests this chap was married and his family were living in Ireland. He returned briefly to Ireland in 1907. He then went back to India. He contracted septicemia after cutting his finger during surgery. He died the same year leaving a wife and two son's in Ireland. However, you never know what skeletons maybe hiding in Victorian cupboards ;)
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendydavies

Fullerton 1 month 6 days ago #96615

• Wendydavies
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you gor all your help on this! Dave I've found a Fullerton who was in India at the right time (according to "find my past") and was in SA. His Boer War service number is 529, first name Edward. He seemed to get promoted and demoted multiple times.
I'm wondering if you'd know if he was in Quetta?

Thank you, Wendy

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.687 seconds