Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fullerton 3 weeks 3 days ago #97116

• Wendydavies
  • Wendydavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi, to update the school in Kalimpong did not have Fullerton's military records. According to their records Fullerton was a British Soldier who was stationed in Quetta for some time and then went home to Britain. It is possible of course he did go to the Boer war but it seems the children might not have been told the full truth.
According to Evelyn’s marriage certificate her father was named Charles Fullerton. I have found a record for a Chares Fullerton which I will attempt to attach. Now I realise we are in a Boer War Forum and now this is more about India! Apologies for that. I felt I should update but one of you also be able to see if Charles was stationed at Quetta? I hope the screenshot of his can be read?
Kind regards,
Wendy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fullerton 3 weeks 3 days ago #97124

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1246
Thank you for the update, sorry to hear there was no additional information to help you. It is very common for family information to become misconstrued. As for your latest candidate, Charles Fullerton, it transpires that may also become challenging.

Private Charles Fuller - not Fullerton, served under the regimental number 1816 - 51st regiment of foot, attached to the 8th Brigade. Alas, no concrete evidence that the 51st were stationed at Quetta. They were certainly active in India during the time period of Private C Fuller, especially during 1878. The regiment was deployed to Afghanistan in autumn 1878 and fought in the Second Anglo-Afghan War, including the Battle of Ali Masjid in November 1878. However, your man Fuller / Fullerton was shipped out on HMS Malabar a year later in 1879 where the regiment was ordered up for active service again when hostilities renewed in the autumn of that year. As you previously mentioned, the Anglo Boer War connection is unfortunately again very tenuous. We have certainly covered quite a few regiments and Fullertons but still no closer to a definitive answer to your quest. I have also revisited the medal rolls pertaining to the 51st Regiment regarding the Boer War as they were then called the King's Own Light Infantry Regiment. No Fullertons or C Fuller mentioned but there was a J Fuller recorded. Evelyn's marriage certificate records Charles, it maybe the soldier in the 51st. However,proving it in my humble opinion has just become even more difficult.

Regards

Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds