Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private Thomas Fullerton 38071 1 month 2 weeks ago #96321

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 930
A second medal roll for him:

which as Dave reported indicates he also served in the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles (JMR) but with regimental number 862 - so this is a third Medal Roll for him:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Dave F, Wendydavies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private Thomas Fullerton 38071 1 month 2 weeks ago #96322

• Wendydavies
  • Wendydavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 5
Thank you!

Private Thomas Fullerton 38071 1 month 2 weeks ago #96323

• Wendydavies
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you everyone, it is so nice to see those documents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Private Thomas Fullerton 38071 1 month 5 days ago #96503

• Wendydavies
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you all very much for your help. I am trying to confirm if this Thomas is the father of my Great-Grandmother. Her father was serving in India, according to letters we have he was in the Cheshire Regiment. He'd not been allowed to marry the mother of his two girls because she was Indian but they lived together. The father (Fullerton) was then redeployed to the Boer War where he died of enteric/Typhoid. We know his surname was Fullerton as it was their surname too. This is the only Fullerton I can see who died in the Boer war and it was Typhoid he is recorded as dying of.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Is there a way of seeing if there was a Thomas Fullerton in the Cheshire Regiment that left in 1900 or 1901 (so as to link him to this Fullerton)?
Or their birth records which I can't find would have his first name on them. Evelyn Beatrice Fullerton was very likely born in 1894 and her sister Norah Edith Fullerton was born on the 2nd of July 1896.
Later Evelyn writes on a document she was born in Quetta, but I think that's just where the Cheshire Regiment was when her father left, not where she was born, before that the Regiment was in Secunderabad and Bellary according to online sources.
I have tried to find their birth records but with no success.
Both girls were raised in Kallimpong (north India) in an orphanage and went onto be successful nurses in India/England and in New Zealand. Both served in WW1 and Norah in WW2 as well.
Any help with birth records or somehow linking Thomas to India would be appreciated. I know it's a long shot.
Thank you!

Private Thomas Fullerton 38071 1 month 5 days ago #96507

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1227
Hello Wendy

I cannot find a link to the Cheshire regiment reference your Thomas Fullerton who served in the SALH. His attestation papers record him as being single in 1901 and aged 25. He was of Irish decent and there are certainly quite a few Fullertons who served in Irish regiments. Alas, no Cheshire connection. Do you have any details pertaining to the Cheshire regiment and your Great Grandmother beside the letters?
Could there be another surname that may have been used?
India is certainly prominent regarding Norah, as she served in the Queen Alexandra's Military Nursing Service for India during WW1. With reference to the Cheshire Regiment and service in India, both Battalions served in Burma between 1887 and 1891 and the 2nd Battalion saw active service in South Africa from 1900 to 1902. However, the above dates for India / Burma would put your SALH Thomas Fullerton at aged 12 and 15. The Cheshire regiment also served in India during 1843 but I think this information is irrelevant regarding your quest.
I will keep searching, but at present I believe that your original Thomas Fullerton who died in January 1902 may not be the father of your Great Grandmother. The enigma remains, who was the gentleman who served with the Cheshire's or indeed another regiment who may have fathered Evelyn and Norah? I didn't have much luck with Evelyn or Norah regarding birth certificates or potential fathers. There are a few records of transportation of Norah working as a Missionary and the nursing information. I did think there may be a link to India / Pakistan with a Lieutenant Colonel J C Fullerton who was a administrative medical officer but that in my opinion maybe a much longer shot, although, it may be worth checking out reference the medical path Evelyn and Norah chose.One last Fullerton I found was a Captain J D Fullerton in the Royal Engineers who served in Burma in 1885 to 1887. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with your quest. Perhaps a fellow forummer may be able to unravel the mystery.
I wish you well in your future research.

Best wishes

Dave.

A possible lead to a Fullerton and Quetta perhaps.

The Royal Engineers Fullerton
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendydavies

Private Thomas Fullerton 38071 1 month 5 days ago #96508

• Wendydavies
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Dave thank you so much for searching! The mystery remains but nice to have a few avenues to investigate. I'll see if we have any more details but I don't think so, the girls were too young to remember much.

Kind regards,

Wendy

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds