Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Stephen Midgley 2 QMI, Bushveldt Carbineers and Roystons Horse 9 years 10 months ago #19686

• Stephen Midgley
  • Stephen Midgley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings from Australia.
My name is Stephen Midgley and I am seeking information on the life of my grandfather Lt Col Stephen Midgley DSO CMG MID (x5) who lived in South Africa and Zimbabwe 1900 – 1914. I am assembling a biography on his interesting and adventurous life.
He arrived in South Africa January, 1900 from Australia with the 2nd Contingent of the Queensland Mounted Rifles and departed in 1914 – returning to Australia to recover from blackwater fever.
After the 2nd QMI returned to Australia in 1901, grandfather remained in South Africa, enlisting with the Bushveldt Carbineers/ Pietersberg Light Horse – on the same day as the infamous Morant. He delivered Kitchener’s dispatches to the Boer Gen Viljoen and Col Trichard in September 1901; He received a MID and a DSO during this time.
In 1906 he joined Royston’s Horse during the Natal Rebellion or what is now known as the Bambatha Uprising after which he established himself in Zimbabwe as a mine owner and contractor until he returned to Australia
After returning to Australia in 1914, he subsequently joined the Australian 5th Light Horse Regiment and fought with distinction on Gallipoli before becoming CO of the 54th Battalion AIF on the Western Front. He managed to complete his military service as CO of the Volunteer Defense Corps (Dad’s Army) on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland in WW2. Stephen Midgley was a was a gallant and distinguished soldier who had a most interesting life. I would have liked to know my grandfather a little better (he died at the age of 83 when I was 4)
After the cessation of hostilities in 1902, grandfather then disappears until his enlistment with Royston’s Horse. My father believes that he was a policeman at some stage during his time in South Africa (before 1906). He was a clerk in a law firm in civilian life in Australia so this would have suited him.
The big gap (among many) is his life in South Africa between 1902 – 1906. A hint might be gained from his enlistment records for Royston’s Horse or his application for a commission. Are such records available in South Africa? Similarly, his enlistment records with the Bushveldt Carbineers might offer some insights. Ditto for any police records if he was a member of a police force (my father very strongly believes this) for example, the South African Constabulary or Transvaal Constabulary.
I would be grateful for any advice that the forum may be able to offer.
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stephen Midgley 2 QMI, Bushveldt Carbineers and Roystons Horse 9 years 10 months ago #19826

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Stephen,

Your grandfather sounds to have been a great man and it is great that you are assembling a detailed biography.

He is on the roll as Lt in Riyston's Horse for the Natal Rebellion. The DSO book add no information that you don't already have:

MIDGLEY, STEPHEN, Captain, was born at M'Leay River, New South Wales, 29 May 1871, fourth son of James Midgley, of Queensland, Australia. He was educated privately, and served in South Africa, 1900-1 and 1902; was promoted from Lieutenant to Captain in the Field, when serving with the Pietersburg Light Horse. He was mentioned in Despatches; awarded the Queen's and King's Medals, and created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 31 October 1902]: "Stephen Midgley, Captain, Pietersburg Light Infantry. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa". He received a commission as Lieutenant with Royston's Horse; served during the Natal Rebellion of 1906 (Medal). In the European War Major Midgley was wounded, and for his services was mentioned in Despatches, and created a CMG in 1916. In the autumn of 1916 he was promoted Lieutenant Colonel, and given the command of the 54th Battalion Australian Imperial Force. He was sent to Australia on account, of ill-health in December 1917. Colonel Midgley married, in 1916, Katharine Emily Mary, widow of Frank Evans, Junior, of Bredwardine, Hereford.

Here is the UK, there are very few records from the Natal Rebellion.

For his service 1902-1906 it might be worth contacting Audrey (listed in Contacts above) to see if he popped up during her research of the SAC.

I wish you well with your research.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Stephen Midgley 2 QMI, Bushveldt Carbineers and Roystons Horse 9 years 10 months ago #19833

• Stephen Midgley
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Many thanks David. I have quite a deal of information on Stephen Midgley - he certainly led a full and interesting life. I understand that after the rebellion he was chosen to represent Royston's Horse in the party of officers who went to Zululand to collect and give information to Captain Stuart, who was engaged in compiling the official history of the rebellion. Do you know where in RSA I could begin to look for his enlistment/commission records for Royston's Horse? Or for the Bushveldt Carbineers? The period 1902 - 1906 remains a great mystery.
Thanks again for your interest

Stephen Midgley 2 QMI, Bushveldt Carbineers and Roystons Horse 9 years 10 months ago #19837

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I would consult Jenny Duckworth in Pietermaritzburg regarding his time after the Anglo Boer War in Natal.
The Bushveldt Carbineers was an SAMIF unit and sadly there are no papers here for their officers, unless they had been commissioned from the rank and file in the SAMIF.

Stephen Midgley wrote: Many thanks David. I have quite a deal of information on Stephen Midgley - he certainly led a full and interesting life. I understand that after the rebellion he was chosen to represent Royston's Horse in the party of officers who went to Zululand to collect and give information to Captain Stuart, who was engaged in compiling the official history of the rebellion. Do you know where in RSA I could begin to look for his enlistment/commission records for Royston's Horse? Or for the Bushveldt Carbineers? The period 1902 - 1906 remains a great mystery.
Thanks again for your interest

Stephen Midgley 2 QMI, Bushveldt Carbineers and Roystons Horse 9 years 10 months ago #19851

• Stephen Midgley
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks Frank and thanks David (again).
I have made contact with Audrey at rhino research who offered an encouraging response (thanks Audrey).
I am not sure how I can manipulate this site to make contact with Jenny Duckworth in Pietermaritzburg.
Frank - were documents for SAMIF units kept anywhere? Perhaps a situation as in Australia where most pre-Federation military records have been lost.
Regards

Stephen Midgley 2 QMI, Bushveldt Carbineers and Roystons Horse 9 years 10 months ago #19859

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The surviving SAMIF papers are all in WO126 at Kew.

Stephen Midgley wrote: Thanks Frank and thanks David (again).
I have made contact with Audrey at rhino research who offered an encouraging response (thanks Audrey).
I am not sure how I can manipulate this site to make contact with Jenny Duckworth in Pietermaritzburg.
Frank - were documents for SAMIF units kept anywhere? Perhaps a situation as in Australia where most pre-Federation military records have been lost.
Regards

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds