Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

WELCOME HOME - THE ABSENT MINDED BEGGAR 10 years 11 months ago #9613

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
Yes, I know where you found it and I also know Camden Passage quite well too, happy days indeed.
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WELCOME HOME - THE ABSENT MINDED BEGGAR 8 years 7 months ago #42701

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Morning Frank......

I was shown one of these here in Canada yesterday...... It does not have the brass scroll on the bottom..... True it was brought over here when the family came to Canada...... I would have liked to purchase it but at $1500.00 I thought it a bit much......

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Okay then, thats cool, you bought it from a London dealer back then, now I am not so :sick: I would have been, if you found it in Canada, just wish it had been me, but, it is one of the finest examples of it's type that I have ever seen, moreover, I have seen several, I do love that label on the back, superb, really superb, actually I am still really :sick: :sick: :sick: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Morning Frank......

Found it at an junk / antique dealer in Angel Archade, London in the early 90's and paid a grand sum of L 50.00.....

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Where did you find that? :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
Regards and very :sick: with envy, Frank

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

WELCOME HOME - THE ABSENT MINDED BEGGAR 7 years 11 months ago #45926

• QSAMIKE
Good Morning Everyone.......

Here is some additional information posted on the Victorian Wars Forum by Neville Constantine who has kindly given me permission to post here......

Thank You Neville for this information......

Mike

From: Sussex Agricultural Express, 25-05-1901; Dorking & Leatherhead Advertiser, 06-07-1901; Surrey Mirror, 13-06-1902

Recipients Presented 22-05-01......

1st Volunteer Active Service Company, Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment:

Lieutenant E.A. Heriot
Colour-Sergeant C.R. Moir
Sergeant H.H. Young
Sergeant A. Young
Corporal J. Fassnidge
Lance-Corporal F. Heaysman
Private W. Barfoot
Private E.F. Dalton
Private W. Eade
Private A.J. Harding

City Imperial Volunteers:

Captain J.F. Waterlow
Sergeant G. Godwin
Sergeant E. Farrington
Lance-Sergeant C. Knight
Private E. Bettesworth
Private J. Jenkins
Private Sargent (absent)
Private T. Wakem
Private P.A. Willett

Presentation made by Mr T.H. Roberts (Chairman of the Reception Committee and Horley Parish Council) at the Drill Hall, Reigate.

Recipients (12th June 1902)

2nd Volunteer Active Service Company, Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment:

Sergeant W. Reason,
Lance-Corporal J. Best
Private W. Cowland
Private N.T. King
Private J.F. Robinson
Private R. Terry (absent)

Three others (names unrecorded) were not present.

Presentation made by the Mayor of Reigate (Councillor F.E. Barnes, J.P.) at the White Hart Hotel, Reigate.

One more plaque was presented to Private W. Allum, 1st Volunteer Active Service Company, Royal West Surrey Regiment. This example is described as being a ‘Burnished gun metal reproduction of "A Gentleman in Khaki" mounted on oak frame, with inscribed silver plaque’. Allum came from Caterham and the plaque was subscribed for by a Mr J.D. Rolls, rather than the people of Reigate.

ALSO

Here is the newspaper article covering the 1901 presentation (Sussex Agricultural Express).

Note that the intention had been for the plaques to be returned "in order that the monogram of each man might be inscribed at the bottom". The few that I have seen do not have this additional monogram.

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

WELCOME HOME - THE ABSENT MINDED BEGGAR 7 years 11 months ago #45927

• QSAMIKE
PART TWO......

Good Morning Everyone.......

Here is some additional information posted on the Victorian Wars Forum by Neville Constantine who has kindly given me permission to post here......

Thank You Neville......

Mike

Although only twenty-eight plaques were produced with the Reigate inscription, the unadorned version was available for purchase by the the general public. The example held by the National Army Museum, London, is one of these.

An interesting use of the plaque can be seen in the memorial to Corporal Rodney Devereux in Waiuku, Auckland, New Zealand. Devereux was killed at Rhenoster Kop on 29th November 1900, and this memorial was originally erected in Holy Trinity Anglican Church. On the de-consecration of the church in July 2014, it was moved to Waiuku Museum.

Much of the silver plate has been lost through years of polishing, revealing large areas of the copper base metal. This suggests that Davy's example was once similarly plated.

An article about the Reason family, published in the Surrey Mirror in November 1949, describes William Reason's plaque: "one of his proudest possessions is a bronze plaque, inscribed, 'A gentleman in khaki,' presented to him by the Borough of Reigate after his return from South Africa". The description of the plaque as "bronze" suggests that Sergeant Reason had polished his proudest possession so much that it had again lost all its silver plating.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

WELCOME HOME - THE ABSENT MINDED BEGGAR 7 years 11 months ago #45928

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1899
Good afternoon Mike,

Its good to see the information posted here.
Glad to have been of help.

Neville

WELCOME HOME - THE ABSENT MINDED BEGGAR 7 years 11 months ago #45932

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Thanks Mike & Neville - very interesting as ever.

I saw Lance-Corporal F. Heaysman's QSA and 15 Star and VM (BWM missing) at the Sussex OMRS branch last night. Heaysman has an unusual clasp combination of CC,OFS,T,LN,SA01.

The owner did not say he had the presentation plaque which I suspect was separated from the medals some time ago.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds